The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Walabio
Group Admin

The subject says it all.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7925853 Let's hope she learns her lesson this time.

What's the saying again? One-thousandth time is the charm?

Walabio
Group Admin

I doubt that she will learn anything.

She suffers much more from influenza than she would from a needle which she probably would not feel. This reminds me about a few years ago, when a local man always receiving tickets for not wearing seatbelts because they are not comfortable, ended up impaled on his steering column. I imagine that the steering column is more uncomfortable than a seatbelt.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7925883 In principle, I'm against fines for not wearing a seatbelt since one is only endangering oneself.

But then I think of your GF and think to myself, Maybe people shouldn't be trusted to act rationally by themselves.

Walabio
Group Admin

Unbelted passengers bounce around the cabin, thus murdering others:

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7925892 You have a point. But why do you still have to pay a fine even when you're driving alone?

If you get ejected from the car you endanger others nearby.

Walabio
Group Admin

Drynwhyl, ¿is that name Welsh? has a point:

A pedestrian stands near a tree. A car wraps around the tree. The driver goes through the windshield hits and kills the pedestrian.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7926025 7926093 That's stretching it. Dropping a pen on the ground could potentially kill somebody, and nobody fines you if you drop a pen.

Personally, I'm more fond of punishing a person after he does something wrong, not before.

Dropping a pen isn’t comparable to a person being ejected through the windshield of a vehicle at speed.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7926150 I think it is. If you manage to reference a story where an ejecting person through the windshield killed a person, I'm pretty sure I can reference a story where a dropped pen killed a person.

My point is, that both cases are very remote. Even if seatbelts stopped existing, cases of a person getting impaled by a windshield-breaking person would practically be non-existent. This really isn't something we should establish a dictatorship over just to protect people from that virtually impossible event.

You're comparing demonstrably dangerous behaviour to dropping a one gram pen like five or six feet maximum onto hardwood or carpet.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

demonstrably dangerous behaviour

I doubt that there was even one case in all of history where a person, flying through a windshield impaled a person. Such events don't happen, therefore aren't a problem, ergo laws shouldn't be written to handle problems that don't exist.

You’re comparing dropping a pen to people operating a vehicle in a demonstrably dangerous manner.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7926238 Yes, because both cases have zero probability.

The chances of you flying through the window and impaling a pedestrian are zero.

And even if the chances were above zero, the law should punish offenders not those who did nothing wrong (yet).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15