Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Walabio
Group Admin

It cost 6.28 U$D:

TauManifesto

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7521038 Why does it claim that π (pi) is wrong and what should it be to be correct?

Walabio
Group Admin

The radius defines the circle:

τ=c/r≅6.283185307179586

This will explain all:

TauManifesto

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7521569 I see.

I still prefer:
A = π

Walabio
Group Admin

¿What is the generic formula for the interior of an n-sphere?:

((d-1)/d)τr^d=interior of an n-sphere

That is why the volume of a sphere is ⅔τr^3=v.

This pattern is much easier too remember than ((d-1)/d)2πr^d==interior.

Reducing the fractions hides the pattern with π but not τ:

a=πr^2, v=(4/3)πr^3

One can easily see the true pattern with τ:

a=½τr^2, v=⅔τr^3

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7521694 I guess you're right. But still, low graders usually don't come to that yet. They mostly have 1 formula to remember and that's A = π r². All the reasons for τ involve higher mathematics, not the basic. I fear we'd be sacrificing children if we made the change.

Walabio
Group Admin

One should instill good habits early; besides, using π causes misunderstandings and mistakes:

Students might believe that the generic formula is πr^d=interior. They try to compute the volume of a sphere using the formula πr^3=voluma and get the wrong result. If they, instead, learn that is is ((d-1)/d)τr^d=interior, They will use ⅔τr^=volume and get the right answer.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7522063 Yes, there are some good arguments for tau. However, if we have both and people have to learn both, then confusion will only increase. The only way this manifesto would bring good to the world is if we abandoned pi.

Walabio
Group Admin

It is true that students will have to learn that τ/2=π but that is trifeful and τ greatly simplifies the mathematics.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7522403 Many don't get to the stage where τ would simplify the math. They only get to the stage where they start hating math because of τ.

Walabio
Group Admin

¿Would they not hate π just as much?

I got my TauManifestoBook today. It cost 6.28 U$D. I wonder ¿why it cost that much? :scootangel:

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7522817 I think most people only see A = π r² and nothing else. In this regard π is better than τ.

The thing I hate the most is that students will now have to learn twice as much as before because of the τ. I bet the Manifesto doesn't even cover this issue. The intention is good. The logic is good. But the end result will be bad.

Walabio
Group Admin

Students only have to learn that τ/2=π. The confusion that a=πr^2, but volume is v=4/3πr^3 disappears as the pattern of ((d-1)/d)τr^d is out in the open without the cancelling of 2π obfisticang it.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7522984 You're suggesting that students learn ((d-1)/d)τr^d. But they'll still learn about π as well. And let's be realistic, they'll learn about A = π r² for at least the next 100 years.

You know what will actually happen now? People will keep confusing τ with π which has never ever happened in the whole history of Earth. This confusion will be a hundred times worse than the confusion arising from v=4/3πr^3.

If the manifesto came out 3000 years ago, I'd be all for it. But nowadays it will do a lot of harm and confusion.

You know about the saying: 'The road to Hell is paved with good intentions'? This is the case of it right here. Your logic for supporting τ is sound. Your intentions are beyond good. But generations untold will curse the manifesto for what it brought upon them. If we open this Pandora's box, we'll never be able to close it again.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14