The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Walabio
Group Admin

The United Kingdom will soon idiotically leave the European Union because of misapplication of Democracy:

The thing is that BrExit did not truly pass:

For reversible things, a simple majority (50% plus 1 vote) is fine, but for irreversible things, one should require ⅔ plus 1 vote to make certain that one does not jump over a cliff from people in the mushy middle saying "Meh, I guess that I shall vote yes, although I am just as inclined to vote no."

On another note, the people calling for the vote had no plan for leaving the EU. That is like deciding to jump out of a plane in midflight and then, while falling, trying to decide what to do:

Jumper A:
"I guess that we should have taken parachutes with us."

Jumper B:
"Hind sight is 2020. ¿How could we have anticipated that jumping out of a plane at over a myriad (a myriad is 10,000) meters high would be a bad idea?"

Since BrExit passed by far less than ⅔ plus 1 vote, you should throw it out. If the supporters of BrExit want to try again, tell to them that, if they have a complete detailed plan for BrExit, and they have to present the plan to the general public. They can have another vote, but they will need to get ⅔ plus 1 vote to pass.

Referendum for Brexit never was to acctualy leave EU, but to yell around Wesmtinster and Bruxsselles that there is small but vocal minority and you should hear them roar. It was a nationalistic power play that went horribly right. I bet that the original plan was to have 49% Leave votes maximum that would leave parties that support idea with the future political material to sway others to their side, but the UK would still remain in EU.

"We have clearly saw that 49% would like to leave EU, fullfill our demands or we will leave next time!" and similar.

But apparently a lot more people agreed or bought into the propaganda that british politicians are now left with bags of hot potatoes to juggle.

As for voting process, to be honest no voting system is perfect. Hindsight is alvays 20/20.

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

I personally imagine the UK will stay out of the EU for about a decade, after which they will come back, beging on their knees. Either that, or form a Nazi party...

Walabio
Group Admin

England has a specifically FascistParty called the League of Saint George, and several Fascist-Adjacent Parties:

List of British fascist parties

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4