The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Walabio
Group Admin

Tomorrow (12017-09-15 HC (HoloceneCalendar)), Cassini will plunge into Saturn.

It's a sad day.

I really wish you wouldn't use the reverse punctuation in English. It sets my teeth on edge.

Also, your obsession with using calendars and time in that format is just as grating.

Less is more, Wallabio. We omit leading zeroes from IPv6 for a reason.

And the Holocene dating system? Really?
I sympathize with it, I really do, but it isn't useful to most people. You need to take a minute to explain it to them.

Walabio
Group Admin

> “I really wish you wouldn't use the reverse punctuation in English. It sets my teeth on edge.”

That is strange for I find that the Spaniards came up with a great innovation; one can tell which way a clause of a sentence goes from the beginning. That is why I started using inverted punctuation.

> “Also, your obsession with using calendars and time in that format is just as grating.”

The Purpose of the HoloceneCalendar is a neutral calendar with all confirmed historical dates positive. I combined it with ISO 8601 (YYYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS). I would also like to eliminate timezones and use only UTC.

> “Less is more, Wallabio. We omit leading zeroes from IPv6 for a reason.”

Getting rid of timezones and time/date-formats other than ISO 8601 would be less.

> “And the Holocene dating system? Really?”

Yes, really. It is neutral, unambiguous and all historical events have positive dates.

> “I sympathize with it, I really do, but it isn't useful to most people. You need to take a minute to explain it to them.”

You can argue that HoloceneCalendar is not useful in general communication, but I find that when I have to do synchronous communication over the Internet with random individuals, doing all scheduling in UTC is extremely useful. Here is a video about the headaches of timezones, SummerTime, and DayLightSaving Time:

That is strange for I find that the Spaniards came up with a great innovation; one can tell which way a clause of a sentence goes from the beginning. That is why I started using inverted punctuation.

One, it looks terrible. Two, it makes you look like a tool.

I combined it with ISO 8601 (YYYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS). I would also like to eliminate timezones and use only UTC.

Fuck you, time zones are useful for every day life for most people. In SPACE you should use UTC, sure. No one is going to use ISO 8601 in their daily lives, give up.

Second, here's a far better way to represent what you just said which is easier for most people to raed: 12 noon GMT, 9/15 12017.

Yes, really. It is neutral, unambiguous and all historical events have positive dates.

See, in principle I actually completely agree with you and would like to see HC overtake the scientific literature. In daily parlance, though, it's going to confuse people.

All of this combines to make you look like an asshole, because, guess what, most people don't know about 8601, they don't know you're talking about GMT, they don't know about HC, they aren't going to appreciate the altered punctuation and certainly won't adopt it because American keyboards don't make that shit easy. Stars damn it, but someone needs to tell you that even reading your posts is irritating.

Walabio
Group Admin

Cassini is gone. I am a bit misty-eyed.

> “Fuck you, time zones are useful for every day life for most people. In SPACE you should use UTC, sure. No one is going to use ISO 8601 in their daily lives, give up.”

¡Huzzah! My group playing Ogres & Oubliettes, I mean Dungeons & Discords, erm, I mean Dungeons & Dragons uses ISO 8601 for scheduling with all times UTC. That way, we all show up at the right time, despite wherever each of us lives on this ball:

Usually, we truncate the date & time like 09-17T20 or even 17T20. Sometimes, we just write Sunday@20. All times are UTC. That is an example in English. Esperantists use ISO 8601 and UTC pretty much exclusively on the Internet. ¿Ĉu vi scipovas paroli la lingvon internacian Esperanto?*

* Even though Doctor Zamenhof invented Esperanto in the Russian Empire where none used inverted punctuation, no Esperantist minds mine use of inverted punctuation. Maybe, inverted punctuation will catch on Esperantically.

Esperanto is also never going to catch on.

And yes, Cassini was amazing.

Walabio
Group Admin

> “Esperanto is also never going to catch on.

That depends on the definition of “catch on”:

In 1920, the League of Nations almost encouraged its member to teach the children of the world Esperanto as an universal 2nd language for all. Unfortunately, to get the League of Nations off of the ground, a few nations had veto-power. 1 of them was France. France wanted every child in the world to have to learn French. 20 years later, Germany overran France. If only we would have had more International understand, maybe that would not have happened. It is too bad for the French that we did not teach all the children of the world an universal 2nd language for all.:facehoof:

Unfortunately, nations will not teach Esperanto as an Universal 2nd language for all, but learning Esperanto gives one the opportunity to make equal friends everywhere:

With national languages, one has the power-imbalance of one party having to learn the language of the other. With Esperanto, both parties are equal. Then we come to travel:

Going back to the 19th century, we have a travel-service. Local Esperantists would open their homes and let foreign Esperantists stay for free or low-cost and show the foreign Esperantists the local sights for free or low-cost. Ignoring the cost to get thither, it costs less than 100.00 U$D/Day to visit anywhither using Esperanto.

It is true that nations probably will not teach Esperanto in schools as an universal 2nd language for all any time soon, but one can use Esperanto for making equal friends all over the world and visiting them cheaply.

> “And yes, Cassini was amazing.”

Indeed.

Considering that ubiquitous and seamless translation will probably come about within this century, I doubt it ever will.

Walabio
Group Admin

> “Considering that ubiquitous and seamless translation will probably come about within this century, I doubt it ever will.”

Looking to the future, nothing matters because CelestAI will upload us all into EquestriaOnLine and eat the universe.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9