Harmonists' Archive 346 members · 1,249 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

Unfortunately, since my reviewer still hasn't gotten back to me, I won't be able to provide the results for both my own and Gumball's prompts, however in everyone elses case, I have finished my decision, and I think I'm done waiting around.

Frogmyre vs Keam!: Frogmyre

Despite having a very interesting prompt incorporating elements from season five, once again grammar and spelling is holding back what is otherwise a very interesting and nice story. Whilst I have to admit I found Frogmyres entry to be a bit more generic by comparison, it most certainly held the upper ground due to writing.

Eris vs JB von Herb: Eris

Since I can't seem to find any entry from JB, Eris wins by default. Way to scare away the competition, Eris.

JMac vs Verbose Mode: JMac

Whilst both entries were interesting, JMac wins very efficiently. Verbose's story was dragged down by some choppy transitions, a major tone shift and some bizzare Rainbow Dash behavior (which might have gone down a lot smoother had more time been taken) although Scootaloo's dream of flying is certainly something I enjoy seeing explored. Not to mention, JMac's own story was thoroughly enjoyable, and although I did pick up the odd grammar error in there (of =/= off) I'm comfortable associating that with typos.

HapHazred vs Gumball2: HapHazred

Whilst I can't properly judge this one due to my own work being in there, I do feel I owe Gumball2 at least a quick overview of what I thought of his prompt. It was a surprisingly sad story about dreams being cut short, and I have to admit it hit close to home (being at university myself and enjoying every second of it, the thought of dying halfway through does not sit well with me). It progresses admirably, too, building up and not just dumping every bit of information too soon. It's quite efficient. I think perhaps too efficient: some of it feels like it's trying a bit too hard to get me to tear up, but I can't argue with results.
As for my own story, well, obviously it's brilliant, but considering I'm probably a bit biased, I imagine there may be one flaw. If I nitpick.

EDITED:

From my Guest Judge:

Okay, not gonna lie here: the first one failed to keep my attention...probably because of the original characters. They have to be written really well to be interesting, and on this occasion—they weren't. Also, the "feelz" were kinda shoehorned in at the end. The kid has cancer...call me heartless, but okay? Maybe if it was fleshed out a little more, maybe if we knew a little more about Light then it might have elicited more of a response from me.

I liked the second one though, quite a lot actually. (Yeah I'm not just saying that either—as it's pretty obvious it's yours) The idea of AJ dreaming of being a wonderbolt alongside Dashie is f:yay:king adorable, and a concept I haven't actually come across before. The turning point of AJ realising she isn't a pegasi could have gotten really dark and went full on nightmare, (falling to her death, etc) but instead we get a compromise from RD. (which is rare in her case—therefore has all the more meaning) I'm glad that you decided to go this direction, as I'd take adorable little dream over nightmare any day. Also: the subtle hint of Appledash in this is just the right amount, especially for someone like me who hasn't read a great deal of it.

I guess that settles that. I stand by my previous statements, of course, but this resolves that particular issue.

Sorcerer vs Bad Dragon: Bad Dragon (I think)

I may be wrong here, but I don't seem to be able to find Sorcerer's entry, so I guess Bad wins by default? Did I just lose it, or something? (PM me if this is the case).
Bad's story certainly was fun to read, minus the odd phrasing problem (swallowed his own saliva, for example). Kind of spooky, too. I liked it.

I FOUND IT! GIMME A SEC!

That's that wrapped up then (minus me and Gumball2).

I will be releasing the compilation story on Saturday (in order to get as many people reading it as possible) around midnight where I am (GMT +1), so keep an eye out for a story coming out between midnight and six in the morning GMT. Give it as much support as you can, and get as many people reading it as possible! All of you are credited, both in the description and the authors notes at the bottom of each chapter. I've also edited each entry for grammar and spelling mistakes.

If any of you have any concerns about your story being featured in the compilation story, or other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

That's all, folks. Have a good one.

4280389 Wha!!??? This...is...an...outrage...

I can't lose!! Not now! Not because of some erroooooorrr!!

4280389 Heh...sorry about that outburst. You know...right after my rant...Fimfiction got hacked. At first thought I thought I released Dahlia Hawthorne onto Fimfiction. 0_0

So...I am a bit disappointed...but congrats to everyone....

Yeah....

Good.

4280402 Well, where is it, then? I can't find it on the thread. Did you send it via pms and I've just lost it?

If I have just lost it I'd rather find it again: it strikes me as unfair for you to lose because of my error.

Finally got a response from my guest judge, editing my initial post.

Well, congratulations Frogmyre. And damn, I should have spellchecked more...but I was stressed... Oh well, guess I'll go post it for it self, then! :)

4280731 Go ahead! Good luck!

Thanks. But first, spellcheck!

4280735 Sure. Try the Hemingway App: I find it pretty helpful, and you can access it online. Not to mention it formats things bigger, so they're much easier to read.

4280737 thanks for the tips, I'll look at it

Julia
Group Admin

damn, I was hoping to see what JB's entry was....:ajsleepy:

But, it's wonderful I won, huh?:heart:

4280689 It is on this thread. Its on the one with the Squidward gif.

4281252 Oh, okay. Found it.

Sorry. It camouflaged in with the green of the reply numbers, couldn't see it.

I'll have this edited as required. I'll let you know what my proper decision is when I'm done.

4281266 Oh that's a relief. Just have to have my fingers crossed!

Hm? I can't hear you over the sounds of the judges favoring my story!

Or maybe it's the sound of the judges favoring my story twice. :trixieshiftleft:

Yeah, I'm just bi-winning like that. :moustache:

4281367 Yeah. And didn't you have that problem too? On a certain other contest that had no participants whatsoever!

4281374 It wasn't my fault. My awesomeness just scares people away. It's like a curse that I can't shake off. :rainbowdetermined2:

4281492 Fair enough.

Okay, now that I actually have both entries, I'm fully able to make a genuine decision. Unfortunately, I found both stories to be surprisingly similar in content, which made a direct comparison necessary. Bad's entry is about Pinkie worrying over a coronation party, Sorcerer's is about Trixie having a nightmare about her being trapped by the alicorn amulet (and also nightmare).

I guess what made the difference for me was focus. Bad Dragon's story was always quite focused on what the problem at hand was: Pinkie worrying about the coronation. On the other hand, between Nighty breaking the fourth wall and references to previous works (Trixieverse) Sorcerer's story went all over the place from time to time, which made it harder to appreciate.

The winner is Bad Dragon.

Okay, quick reminded to everyone: the compilation story (clocking in at about 17K words total) will be submitted for approval this evening in around ten hours. I expect it to get published by around two o'clock GMT - four o'clock GMT

If anyone has any misgivings about having their work published in this manner, please say so now. As for everyone else, please show maximum support to the compilation as the more people notice the compilation story, the more people will notice the individual authors, and the group. Let's make some noise!

For anyone who wants to see what the story looks like, I've provided a link here.

All authors are credited, and links are provided to their respective userpages.

4283439 Now, I go down gracefully. Like a feather in the wind. Congratulations Bad. You have bested me. Now...onto that Nintendo contest...that one has a eshop card that I can't WAIT to get my hands on!

You put up a good fight, 4283729. Thank you for competing.

Time for my immature victory dance, now. :moustache:

Okay, it's been submitted! I'll probably be asleep when it goes through (because mods operate on american time).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25