Harmonists' Archive 346 members · 1,249 stories
Comments ( 52 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 52

Hello everyone. I hope you're doing well, and looking forwards to summer. I hope you're all ready for a brand new activity to have fun with, especially considering our last event was pretty successful, with dozens of short stories written by a good number of authors on this group.

I'm hoping our next one will be just as fun. It'll be a contest, just like the first one we did, and will be judged pretty conventionally (I'll be rounding up a team of judges including myself to read your stuff) and will be centered around ponies. Our favourite characters, the ones that we can't write to save ourselves, the ones we don't see enough of... all the ponies.

Writing characters is a vital skill in fanficion writing, and it's surprisingly a skill that's hard to find sometimes. We've all seen 'em, and chances are a few of us have written 'em too (I know I have): Twilight Sparkle written as a robot, Rainbow Dash as a dumb bully, or Pinkie Pie as a nonsense spewing dunderhead.

So, this contest will revolve around our favourite ponies. This thread is dedicated entirely to registration. In order to participate in the contest, simply follow the instructions below.

Say you want to participate in the contest, or are interested. I know it's never obvious whether real life will get in the way or not, but if you want to even have a chance at playing the game, just say you want in.

Indicate the following:

-Your favourite pony (mane six)
-Your favourite side character/background pony
-The character you have most difficulty writing

You don't need to include any reasons why. Just write those three characters and I will add your name to my super special excel spreadsheet.

Just to give you an idea of what the contest will entail: there will be no word limit (although it must be a publishable story, so 1K words minimum) and you will be given one month from the beginning of the story to the deadline. Why one month? Because even the laziest of you should be able to manage that, right? Right?

Registration will remain open for one week. If we do not get a minimum of eight contestants, the contest will be dropped.

Winners will get featured on the group and will be promoted on my own personal blog as well as a group I happen to have a significant amount of pull on (the very necessary HapHazred Appreciation Group). It's free publicity, and a great chance to hone your skills or just show off.

I expect as many of you as you can to join up. New authors, I want to see you practice as much as you can, and experienced authors, I want you to show the new bloods how it's done.

Good luck, and have a picture of Rainbow Dash!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

4424031 Duly noted. Good luck!

I'm interested in the contest, though I do have a question: do the fics entered have to be completed?

As for your three questions, here ya go:

-Favorite Mane 6: ALL THE MANE 6, but if I have to really limit it to 1, I'd probably say... Applejack, yeah
-Favorite Background Pony: Derpy Hooves, the Derpmeister, Ditzy Doo, Miss Derptacular, the Doctor's #1 Assistant and Waifu, Dinky's Mom, what have you (though you should know this by now :derpytongue2:)
-Most Difficult Character: Hard to say since I haven't really treated many canon characters in my published work to date, but I have a feeling that Pinkie Pie's going to give me difficulty since it's REALLY easy for writers to screw up her mannerisms and/or dialogue.

4424176 Stories don't have to be completed, but considering that it'll be easier to judge a whole story than an incomplete one, it'd be better if it was.

Gotcha. Well, I'll keep monitoring this one, see if I might actually be able to enter. I usually can't enter contests since they're usually so specific in their prompts, but this one sounds like it might not be, but will just have to wait and see.

You know all that already, but rules are rules.

-Applejack
-Big Mac
-Spike. Even though I've never actually wrote stories featuring the mane six and Spike, I know thing. Which is that I've no idea how to write him whatsoever.

Part from that, curious to see watcha will come up with.

I'm in alrigth!

Favourite Main six: Pinkie Pie
Favourite Background pony: Mrs. Cake
Pony I can't write to save my damn life: Fluttershy

4424199 I try to be very vague in my prompts. Whilst this one will hopefully push people out of their comfort zones a bit, it should be very open in its interpretation and focus. I typically try to do prompts that don't restrict tags, if that makes sense, and if it does, I'll try to find one that doesn't. I also come up with prompts that I could, potentially, write three different stories to.

4424205 Actually, I knew none of that. For all our frequent discussions, I don't remember you mentioning a fondness for Big Mac (aside from the macdonalds meal, of course) or Spikey Wikey.

4424210 It's fine. Fluttershy is a pesky one for me too.

Comment posted by Z Edgelord deleted May 31st, 2015

the thing is that I know a girl from school...she is exactly like Fluttershy. Really. and whilst normally it help me to compare characters to ppl I know iRL I just can't seem to get a good gripe of Fluttershy

TBH it's very old talks. Not surprised you don't remember it.

Also, that joke is terrible.

4424223 Naw, I remember you saying you liked AJ, just not the other two.

4424220 A few people have problems with Flutters dialogue. There's only so many times I can write 'ummmmm' without it being passée.

4424229 Exactly, and as I know this girl, I also know that writing 'ummm' is not what idicate Fluttershy or her personality...

Why one month? Because even the laziest of you should be able to manage that, right? Right?

Uh... I would say I'm interested, but given my track record so far... :twilightsheepish:

Eh, why not? Here's a tentative entry:

-Your favourite pony (mane six)
Honestly, it's a tie between Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle. :yay: :twilightsmile:

-Your favourite side character/background pony
Derpy. :derpytongue2:

-The character you have most difficulty writing
Kind of tough for me to say, considering my lack of writing, but at the moment I'd probably have to say Rainbow Dash. :rainbowderp:

4424507 I'm going to have to pester you to choose for bestpony, I'm afraid. My spreadsheet only accommodates one.:twilightsheepish:

Alright, sorry about that. :twilightblush: I guess I'll just go with Fluttershy, then.

4424600 Okidoki. Filling in the spreadsheet.

4424809 I'm afraid I don't really want people doubling as judges and contestants this time around (I won't be competing either) since it'll be a more conventionally judged system than last time. (I'll be judging them all together instead of separating them into two by twos). If you want to be a judge, then that's great, but I have more than a few places to ask so if you want to compete, I have no problems on that end.

But I don't want you, or anyone else for that matter, doubling as a contestant and a judge, so I'll have to ask you to choose.

4424911 Sure thing. Well, I'll tell you what you are by the end of the week when registration closes.

4423990 Just curious, is there a limit on how may stories can be entered (by one writer)?
Favourite Mane Six: Pinkie Pie
Favourite Side Character: Ditzy Doo
Most challenging Character: Prince Blueblood
Aside from speaking part, which is Zecora, Applejack(the Apples), his is mainly a matter of knowing the characters.
As hard as the Princesses may be, but do either of them qualify as Side Character?
4424229 if that is all there is to Fluttershy, how about trying Owloiscious, with the line "Who"?
I remember using in with such a speaking line, not the joke.
4424217 Guess it is better not to be too exact/vague, as to make it hard to inspire the writers for the challenge?

4425557 Duly noted.

Let's keep it at one submission per person, shall we? Nice and simple.

Because Owlishus is an owl, not a person. The day I say a bird is as complex as a pony is the day I start taking environmentalism seriously.

1) Is that even a question? It's quite obvious that my favorite the best pony is :pinkiehappy:

2) Bon Bon

3) I wish I was strong enough to write Spike.

4423990 I'd like to participate!

Mane Six: Fluttershy
Side/BG: Derpy
Difficulty to write: Twilight

4425663 Thanks.

I just had to ask, nothing mentioned the detail.

I think it was saying Ponies. Technically, Spike isn't a Pony, even if I guess he is more of a person than the Owl?
Somepony has to ask the question, hope I am not making myself impossible here.

Either way, I hope I manage to publish my story with at least One or Two chapters for you to enjoy reading. I do have a list as long as myarm, as the expression went.

4425672 He sure is a challenge. One I rarely has touched upon, short of the story in a side-verse of mine, where he lives with Rarity.
I doubt the story would qualify for this contest, partially due to already being bublished and secondly as in an Anthro form outside of the common Pony-verse as well.

4425672 Duly noted. Good luck!

Spike has a character, lines, and actual developement. So I think he qualifies.

Okay, we're at 8 contestants. Registration will remain open nonetheless until sunday. The more the merrier, right?

4427481 He certainly did have a few very good Episodes to his name. He is the only Dragon to speak.
I guess the owl is a bit slow on development. On the other hoof, Angle did say something to Fluttershy, even if it is in a Mute sense, in Mime.

Since it isn't my Game, it isn't for me to deside, just o poke a few questions.

4427485 It is always good to have a few more than the bare minimum, I think.
A few more would make the anounced winner all the more worth while, when it comes to it.

So when exactly does the one month writing period begin? Could we start writing now?

We will get the prompts by the beginning of next week (if Hap's lazy) or sunday (if I let him breathe). So you can't really write anything 'till you get the actual subject to write about now can you ?

4428095 Well, given that you won't concretely know what you'll be writing before I tell you, you'll probably find it difficult to begin now.

On Sunday, registration closes. That's when I'll be revealling what you'll be doing.

The reason I have to wait until registration closes is because registering is necessary to know what the contest will be. Everyone has to be registered, though.

If you want to give the matter thought, though, that's perfectly fine. It's not as if I can stop you from thinking, anyhow.

4423990 I'm in.

Favourite Mane Six: Applejack

Favourite Side: Maud

Hardest character: Luna

4428212 Just out of pure curiosity, since when was Apples so damn popular?

I mean, I love her to pieces but I expected a little more variety than AJ, Pinkie, and Fluttershy for besthorse.

Adding you to the spreadsheet of magnificence.

4428217 I'm gonna get flamed for this, but Applejack's kind of the only one of the mains that I can tolerate for long periods of time... cept for Fluttershy. Maybe Fluttershy too.

But, hey, if you want, I could always pick another one just for variation's sake. I consider myself a pretty good writer. :twilightsheepish:

4428236 Nope. That'd defeat the point. You said Applejack, and now you're stuck with her.:ajsmug:

I would like to participate.

My favorite pony should be pretty obvious from the avatar. It's Fluttershy.

My favorite background pony is a hard choice. I want to pick Cheese Sandwich for being ponified Weird Al, but I don't like writing actual people, lest I get them wrong. So I'll say Octavia.

Well, Cheese Sandwich would probably be one. But of the ones I've tried, I'd say Dash is the hardest for me to get right. I have such a hard time giving her any emotional range, because it just doesn't feel like her if I make her anything but cocky and arrogant. 'Course, maybe I just suck with sad ponies in general, but I'm gonna blame Dash for being less emotional than others.

4429513 Awesome. Adding to the spreadsheet.

Personally, though, I've found Dash is more emotional than the others. You just have to look.

Good choice on Octavia, by the way. I like her.

Just to know what is this about, but I can't make any promises.

Fav main-pony: Pinkie Pie, specially if Pinkamena is involved in a Jekill Hyde relationship.
Fav side-pony: The Great and Powerful Trixie Lulamoon!
Challenging character: Doctor Whooves. I have no flyin' idea about Doctor Who.

4436277 Sweet. Added you to the spreadsheet.

4436445 Looks like it.

4436445 Speaking of judges, I've just acquired the last member of our little panel. It'll be you, me, and BikerPon3 judging. I should think that's a reasonable variety of opinions.

3 different opinions is the bare minimum. It should do.

Registration closes tomorrow. It looks like we've got a pretty nice turnout, but due to the somewhat more complex nature of how the contest works, it will be very difficult for people to join in after registration closes, so be sure to get in if you want in.

Registration closes today! You guys have until 14:00 GMT before I lock this thread down. Then we can get to business.

Locked, suckaz!

Okay, since my usual tactic of responding to comments on other threads seems to have failed me (probably due to my own incompetence) I decided to play it safe and reply now.

Anyone who wasn't already aware, registration ended and has been moved to this thread (where the rules are explained and everything)

If you already knew this and think I'm a numpty, that's fine. I am.

If you all were not aware I had started the contest a week earlier, please let me know. I may have to extend the deadline if that's the case.

Sorry for the trouble.

4474086 Then I guess I will be checking it out, with any other who is interested.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 52