Applejack is NOT a Background Pony! 160 members · 150 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

How and why does anyone think that? I have never understood. Is it because they don't like her or think she's boring? Because it certainly isn't because she isn't in it or isn't important.

True story: I actually thought when I first watched the show - before I interacted in the fandom - that Applejack was the deuteragonist after Twilight. I still think that this isn't infeasible.

I did a little digging and found on the wiki the graph of appearances per episode of each of the Mane 6. I counted the appearances in Season 1-3 (I limited it to that because it would've taken all day to count all of the seasons) and found that Applejack appeared the MOST of any pony, INCLUDING Twilight (though only beating her by one unspeaking appearance.)

The stats are:
(Y = Makes speaking appearance
S = Makes silent appearance
B = Makes background appearance
M = Is mentioned
N = Doesn't appear)

Twilight Sparkle:
Y: 59
S: 0
B: 1
M: 0
N: 5

Applejack:
Y: 59
S: 1
N: 4

Rarity:
Y: 55
B: 3
N: 6

Fluttershy:
Y: 53
N: 9

Rainbow Dash:
Y: 53
M: 1
N: 6

Pinkie Pie:
Y: 56
N: 8

So how in Equestria is she a background pony? :rainbowhuh: Not to mention she's brave, funny and amazing and probably the biggest badass of them all. Sure Twilight is awesome with magic, but Applejack is awesome with nothing but her own four hooves. I can't say she is my favourite pony because I love them all equally, but I can say I love her as much as the others!

She is also, basically, Twilight Sparkle's second in command, and probably her most trusted friend. Watch "Dragonshy," in particular.

I know! I've always thought that! She is Twilight's best friend (aside from Shining Armour and Spike) and seems to take charge when said pony isn't around.

Yeah exactly, I mean disliking her even is one thing. But why say she's a background pony when she's clearly anything but?

I know, my point is though even if you don't like a character that doesn't make her a 'background pony', it just makes her a character you don't like.

I never understood this logic either. I always thought she was the team mom whenever Twilight used to go off into the deep end. She certainly has the qualities of a second-in-command type character. Maybe it's because she's the type of character who never really changes? No real character development? I still like her though.

I was more trying to say that she's a flat character, as in someone who doesn't change at all throughout the story but does have more than one dimension to them. The best example of a flat character I can think of is Arnold from Hey Arnold.

He never changes throughout the show because the show mainly focuses on the people he helps and interacts with and how he can change their lives. There are some episodes where it focuses directly on him, but it's usually to show him doing an errand or going into depth about his past. Arnold doesn't really change throughout the show and we're fine with that. Though I think Arnold does have an advantage over Applejack since he's the protagonist as opposed to AJ who's a supporting character.

But just because a character doesn't change doesn't mean they're not interesting. As long as they are interesting like AJ and Arnold and keeps us engaged in their stories, then they can stay as flat as they want. I've always thought that Arnold and Applejack might become really good friends if someone were to write a crossover.

They do have a lot of common, they care about their friends, they try to help out as much as they can, both blonde, and they both value their families since their parents disappeared on them. Not to mention they both have their moments of dry wit and sarcasm.

You may be right. But I just don't see how anyone could see her that way. I mean, she might have a southern accent and have a lot of stereotypical cowgirl traits, but she's actually one of the more unique southern characters I've seen in cartoons. And she's anything but a redneck.

Alas, I know you agree I'm just complaining about AJ haters, not you. :derpytongue2: I suppose we should count ourselves lucky to be among those who love our favourite dependable farm pony! :ajsmug:

Yeah, I know right? She totally seems to be 'team mom', sometimes even when Twilight is around.

I get your point perhaps, but I would like to mention that all of them are unchanging, really. I mean Twilight is the nerd, Rarity is the aloof fashionista, Rainbow is the brash athlete, Fluttershy is shy and Pinkie is, well... Pinkie. Applejack is the stubborn and dependable farm pony. Mostly they stay the same way, all of them, barring Twilight's change in the first episode. Even the CMC and Spike stay the same. I wouldn't have it any other way, I love them all the way they are.

Honestly I think there's no making sense of these people. Most of them are probably just following the meme, really.

Look at this adorable pony? Who couldn't love her?! :duck:

I never understood why shes called that, there are a few mlp reactors that when she is in an episode they don't call her Applejack all they do is call her a background pony, and there are only 2 that I know of that have her as their favorite, but other that that I see it as people being bias to their favorite pony and don't acknowledge the others especially Applejack, I mean i even came across one person who tried to make a petition to have her removed from the show, some even want her to be replaced by Starlight, idk it just annoys me that she gets so much hate.

Yeah, it's so stupid and makes me angry. :twilightangry2: She's a wonderful character and is a wonderful part of the show. Much better than Starlight, bleh. And she's certainly no background pony. Like I said in an above comment, I feel like a lot of people are just following the meme, stupid meme though it may be.

Yea i feel the same way when it comes to Starlight not really a fan.

Yeah, she was a good villain and I suppose she'd be fine as a side character, like as much as Cadance or something. But you take screen time away from my precious Mane Six, CMC and Spike and I do NOT appreciate it. :trixieshiftleft:

But that actually helps the whole point I was trying to make with this thread. I still wouldn't call her a background pony though, maybe I would like her to be, but I wouldn't call her that.

Yea with Starlight around people have been calling them the mane 7, I don't know why shes not a main character she more of a side character, for me it will always be the mane 6.

Of course. :rainbowdetermined2: If there's a Mane 7, Spike's the seventh.

Well, no, I have no desire to hold AJ like that. :derpyderp2: Seems a little, er, romantic. As far as I'm concerned that's Rarity's job. Plus I'd imagine she's a lot bigger than that. :rainbowlaugh:

But I get what you're saying, yeah. I do love Applejack and I don't ask that anyone else does, it just bugs me that people don't at least, respect her. But like you said, nothing we can do about it except go on loving her. That's why I'm here, not complaining to them but to fellow AJ fans. :derpytongue2: Finding consolation.

Yeah, I like Twilight as a unicorn better. I don't mind her becoming an alicorn, but it should've waited to the second to last season. But alas, the purpose of the show is to sell toys, so things can't stay the same. And Starlight is just simply not a good enough character to justify her taking time away from the Mane Six, but that's just my opinion. I don't go around hating on her, I just simply stopped watched the new seasons. :rainbowwild:

I thought S4 and S5 were okay, but to each their own. :pinkiehappy:

Fair enough, once again to each their own. I think of them as the size of real ponies. :derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26