Heavy Metal Bronies 70 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
thegamerator10
Group Admin

If THIS is Metal nowadays,
the music world is in serious danger:

Okay... Where do I begin here? This... This is just a DISGRACE to Metal. Spitting in the face of Black Sabbath's hard work.
Just... You don't do that.
Seriously, first off, what the Hell is he saying here?! All I hear is "AISAJAHUAHIAJKAHDKJAKJKAJKAKHDKJAKHKAJAKHAKJAKHDKJAHKAJ!!!!!" WHAT?! :facehoof: Just... ugh...
Not to mention, you're not Sonic. Slow down, bro.
Second, the riff is just sloppily set up. Okay, we get it. You're fast. It's not like most REAL Metal bands have done that before.
Metallica,
Iron Maiden,
Megadeth,
Ozzy Osbourne,
Black Sabbath,
Judas Priest,
many others.
Besides, I mostly hear one note played in seemingly random orders. Oooo... Kaaaayyyyy...?
All in all, if Static-X (and MANY ((yes, MANY)) other Metal bands) got their act together and actually made good, REAL Metal, I'd honestly start respecting them.
Sadly, that's not happening.

This, however, is different. THIS is Metal:

God bless your soul, Ronnie.
This, on top of being my favorite song, is a good example of Metal. Heavy, well set up, flow is not too fast, but not too slow.
First, you can understand the lyrics, and where Geezer and Ronnie are coming from. The song is about the good and evil that men do, meaning we effectively have Heaven and Hell inside us.
Second, the riff is set up well. And there is warning that you're about to speed up during the last part. If you'e going to speed up your riff, give us some f***ing closure! Give a few seconds of warning or closure. Don't just plug it in while no one's looking! Songs that have done this well include A National Acrobat (Black Sabbath), Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath), and Megalomania (Black Sabbath; I know I only mentioned Sabbath, but other songs from other bands use this well, too).
Overall, Sabbath clearly provides a good template for what Metal should be. Not the absolute shit mentioned in the first song I mentioned.
Sabbath = Metal
Static-X = not Metal

Any opinion on Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack?

Led Zeppelin.

Hard, but NOT METAL

Blue Cheer

Harder, but still NOT (quite) METAL. Close, though.

Black Sabbath

Pretty fuckin' metal.

thegamerator10
Group Admin

4493919 I think Symptom of the Universe is the first Thrash Metal song, or Thrash evolved from it.

3758015 I really don't know how to answer that question. Metal is obviously defined by intense music and overdriven guitars, but it encompasses a lot of styles these days. There's different speeds, too, from shredding (Too fast to even follow sometimes) all the way down to Doom Metal (Strum 11 power chords over the course of 35 seconds, then repeat the riff it creates 37 times).

I guess one way I can answer the question is by naming metal that I enjoy, to which the answer is: I will listen to any metal so long as the vocals are coherent and the instrumentals don't rape my ears.

Basically, I'll listen to any metal that isn't modern metal—all modern metal if you exclude the genres that some don't consider to be metal, like alternative metal and nu metal.

Honestly, a lot of the modern metal I've heard—primarily metalcore and djent—suffers from a common dilemma: The instrumentals are alright, but the vocals sounds like the Grumpy Cat if you forced her to eat dubstep.

But there are also some genres that sound akin to metal but are not registered as metal for some reason, like hard rock and post-grunge.

So, since the definition of metal is super, super fuzzy these days and it pretty much now encompasses full genres instead of subgenres, making it what I call a "supergenre," I have no answer.

All metal is metal
Nu metal, melodic metalcore and alternative metal are so hated and idk why

If it doesn't have more than 4 notes anywhere in it, it isn't metal.

I have a question that's been bothering me, so I listen to Dragonforce and some people I've talked to say they aren't heavy metal but some do. Can anyone help? Also it's kinda the same with Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, and Avenged Sevenfold. Some of my friends say they are just rock and are borderline heavy metal, sooo I'm confused

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9