Write For Fun, Not Fame 1,242 members · 5,487 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Nostalgia nipped me in the back real hard from childhood.

I’ve been thinking about writing an adventure story in which we the readers determine the paths to take for our favorite characters. I can’t get into too much details right now.

“NO SPOILERS!!!” - Rarity.

The question is how: How do we organize the endings?

Obviously, there will be one beginning with multiple endings.

The question is how: How do we organize the endings?

Well, given there are supposed to be multiple endings, there should also be multiple paths leading to them. As for organising these paths, the simplest way that comes to mind is something along the lines of “If you have chosen to run out the left door, proceed to chapter 3A. If you’ve chosen the right door, proceed to chapter 3B.” at the end of each chapter.

Oh my god! This is a way smarter idea than what I was thinking. I've been planning an interactive story myself, and I went with the dumb idea of listing each potential route endings as (A1), (B2), (C3). This was something I needed to hear. Thanks!

Heh, I don’t think it’s that much of an ingenious idea—it’s just the basic principle of an identification key applied to a story, after all. But I’m glad it helped you! :twilightsmile:

I've plotted out one, but it revolved around a Gen1-based Tirek story, and when FiM brought Tirek in, it killed it pretty thoroughly, alas. They're fun in concept, certainly!

That said, Scrivener was a great tool for organizing the various branches. I really like it for all kinds of writing, but stuff with a lot of worldbuilding or planning needed really benefits from a program like that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5