Bon Bon is Best Changeling 48 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

What would be a good alternate name for Bon Bon, other than 'Sweetie Drops'?

I'm working on a scenario where the changelings in Ponyville are inducting a pony into their nest, and part of the process is each member of the nest revealing to the inductee a hidden name. I'd like these to be something at least partially thematically appropriate to their owners, and have them for the other small handful of changelings and changeling-allied ponies, but I'm having trouble coming up with one for Bon Bon. In my 'verse's canon 'Bon Bon' is her commonly-used nickname and 'Sweetie Drops' is her legal name; that makes both of these names unusable for the 'hidden' name.

Any thoughts?

Something to do with Honey. Or nectar.

What is the naming scheme of the others? Is it pony-like names or insect parts? Because I think it'd be funniest for something completely different and then "how do you get Sweetie Drops from that?" and she shrugs and says long story.

The naming scheme is somewhat iffy at the moment.
I haven't worked out a full hidden naming scheme for Baltimare Nest (Bon Bon's home nest) yet, although I would prefer to lean toward more pony-like than not. And, until recently, there wasn't an actual nest in Ponyville, just a scattered handful of changelings with pony secret keepers, divided into three households. When events lead to their officially deciding to become a proper nest, Bon Bon brought up the concept of hidden names, but allowed each of her nestmates to pick their own in the initial founding, then worked with the one new addition they've had since then to determine the proper name for her.

The three households are: (Actual changelings in italics)
1) Bon Bon herself, who ought to use her original hidden name, and Lyra, who was added to the nest -after- the royal wedding and what happened to her there. Lyra's choice of hidden name was Anthem.

2) Derpy Hooves, who went with the name Bright Eyes, her adoptive daughter Dinky, who chose the name Jitterbug, and Dinky's biological cousin (and Derpy's unofficial daughter) Amethyst Star, who decided on Sparkler.

3) Aloe of the spa sisters, who decided on the name Ferox*, and her half-sister Lotus, who went with Cifera*.

*Ferox is the species name of one of the medicinal Aloe plants. Cifera is derived from Nucifera, the species name of the Indian Lotus plant.

*They're not really eusocial, so 'hive' doesn't feel right to me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4