Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

A story with a crossover material that I haven't seen much of around here, although I could be mistaken when I say it's "obscure." Mind you, that's coming from the person who wrote Little Buster Q crossovers.

Genre is Adventure, Crossover, and Human. Huh, no Comedy or Romance. That's a first.

Wordcount is 55,449 words long, divided into 18 chapters. It's incomplete and hasn't been updated since mid-January of 2015. Due to my lack of Xenoblade knowledge, I could only get through the prologue.

Grammar: Multiple question marks at the end of one query, as well as the rampant "'Ha, I digress.' He said," instead of "'Ha, I digress,' he said" detract a little from the story. In addition to that, story starts with bloody lavender unicorn syndrome, which is generally a no-no UNLESS you're describing an alt universe version of a character that has certain accoutrements (like, say, a set of metal back legs.) All in all, 7/10. Readable, but very bland and thus needs some work.

Characterization: ... After some heavy thought, 4/10. Twilight's panicky with some attempt at justification, and Shulk and Reyn (I hope I spelled those right) are as perplexed as she is. Oh, and there's needless calling out of attacks. Not flat, but needs work.

Use of show canon: Only Twilight being a princess, Daring Do's alt ego and adventuring, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Equestria as a whole are mentioned. 2/10.

Plot consistency: Kicked off when Twilight accidentally'd Equestria and got sent to close to Colony 9 with a red ring artifact. The story's strongest point, along with grammar. 7/10.

Coherence: 6.5/10. Easy enough to follow, but bland as all hell.

Extra things depending on genre: Adventure didn't kick off, and the story at the point when Twilight accidentally'd Equestria gave off more of a dark feel. 0/10. Crossover and Human, on the other hand, are more prominent, with Krabbles, batteries with straps, and the mention of Colony 9. 4.5/10 for both.

And now, the verdict. The story scores 35.5/80, or 44%. Another one for the reject bin. Reading the prologue made me feel like I was eating a half-baked pizza drizzled with limp bacon. Bland, mushy, and half-warm and half-cold. I'd even go as far to say this was almost half-assed. Work on the wording, the characterization, get rid of attack-calling, and make things kick off from the get-go. As it is, I cannot recommend a read here.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1