Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

And now, a relatively odd story that was published as far back as December of 2014. A bit of intrigue, this one is. It's also first-person.

Genre is Romance and Comedy, with Teen Sex thrown in for good measure.

Wordcount is 6,596 words long, divided into three chapters, without another update since early 2015. I've read the first two—effectively two-thirds of the story. It's marked incomplete instead of on hiatus, oddly enough.

Grammar: 9.5/10; found one little error, and that is a missing word. Other than that, solid.

Characterization: This one has no canon characters, instead using OCs... 2/10, because they weren't fleshed out much.

Use of show canon: Only Canterlot is mentioned. 1/10.

Plot consistency: This one pulled an in media res on me, first by heading to the end of the protag's life before abruptly cutting back to her fillyhood. It was like a slap to the face—sudden, jarring, and stinging. 2.5/10.

Use of OCs: Here, we're introduced to a mare named Lock Pick, who started her whole heist by robbing a bank for money as a foal. The heist in question was... unrealistic, to say the least. She should've been caught by authorities early on, but it states in-story she was a foal at the time and small to boot, so I'll let that slide. Due to not being fleshed much, 4/10.

Coherence: 10/10. Easily this story's strongest point.

Extra things depending on genre: Comedy got me laughing a bit in the prologue, before the jarring in media res slapped me in the face with the force of a sledgehammer. It was forgotten early on in chapter two. Thus, 3.5/10. Romance didn't start; it was thrown in my face from the start and likewise forgotten. 1/10. There are some innuendos present, but not a lot. Thus, I'll likewise grade the Teen Sex a 2/10, as the innuendos tied in with the comedy aspect.

And now, the verdict. The story scores 35.5/90, or 39.4%. This one could have been good, but the jarring whiplash left me scratching my head and mumbling "Why?" to myself. Seeing as it hasn't been updated in two years, I likely won't revisit this one. It took an interesting concept and smashed it like a glass vase.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1