Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Here, we have a very interesting take on a CMC getting a cutie mark individually of the other two, in this case our dear Scoots. I read this story before, and solely for this review, I had to re-read it again. This is... I believe the first multi-chaptered one I've done in a while, if not the first period.

Genre is Drama. Just that. Though it could do with an Alternate Universe tag. I'll get to why later.

Wordcount is a staggering 53,741 words long, divided into ten chapters. I've read all of them.

Grammar: 9.5/10, I found a few sparse errors here and there, including one starting right at the beginning of a chapter (and that one's more apparent because it uses a massive letter before the rest of the word to which it is attached), but overall they don't detract that much at all.

Characterization: 8/10, the characters behave closely to their canon counterparts, sans Scoots who gets fleshed out.

Use of show canon: 7/10. Mentions Twilight being an alicorn, and RD's training sessions with Scoots, but most of the setting focuses on the Magic School for Gifted Unicorns. It nets a seven because said Magic School is detailed well in-story and reasonably fleshed out as well.

Plot consistency: 10/10. Partly because it follows through Scootaloo's perspective, and partly because it takes place in what is essentially magic kindergarten mixed with high-school-like diplomas. Overall easy to follow.

Use of OCs: Got a handful here, but they're all unicorns with one exception and reasonably moderately-powered. Also, they behave in a believable, relatable manner. 7/10, for fleshing them out, though I was surprised that one was made into a sister of Godcat-damned Trixie Lulamoon that was under said sister's shadow.

Coherence: 10/10. Flawless.

Extra things depending on genre: AU (or lack of tag thereof) gets 7/10, as this story takes place in a universe where Scoots gets her cutie mark before the other two—surprisingly, in unicorn-like magic. Drama, on the other hand, nets a 9/10. It goes up and down like a rollercoaster, but in the end, it's just a week's worth of hell for Scoots that ends on a particularly high note.

Now, my verdict. The story nets a whopping 67.5/80; otherwise, 84%. It passes with flying colors. It's great, but could have been done a little better. The ending was... well, I'd have liked to see what Celestia does to the Headmaster of the School, and whatever advice she may or may not give to said Headmaster's bitch of a foal, but then again, some things are best left to the imagination. Besides, Ocal let an unofficial sequel become a thing (and gave a dude permission to do so), and if Ocal did make Celestia and Headmaster chat, it'd have to be in a bonus chapter. Overall a job well done.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1