Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Here we have a story that's been Rage Reviewed, dragged back to the drawing board, edited like no tomorrow, and then given a Needs Work in the Pleasant Commentator and Review Group 49 weeks ago. Whoo boy, what more could I ask for? I might as well chip in with my two bits.

The wordcount is 4,641 words long. Somewhat lengthy, but manageable.

Genre is Alternate Universe, and Tragedy. Alright, I can get with that.

Grammar: 8/10. Got a few errors, but they don't detract from the story. What DOES detract, however, are the breaks that litter the one-shot.

Characterization: 7/10. It highlights Rainbow's competitive streak, but also a worry when her Sonic Rainboom goes... awry in an unexpected way.

Use of show canon: 5/10, for the Rainboom's usage. But it loses points because of the unexpected side-effect it produced.

Plot consistency: 10/10. Easy to follow.

Use of OC's: 5.5/10. They could need some work, but they're not red and blacks and do have at least a little emotion invested in them. One's a filly, another's a unicorn, and a third is a Pegasus racer who is the result of the unexpected side-effect. Namely, his wings get clipped—one's sliced clean off, and the other is broken beyond repair after he crashes into a tree. He's lucky to survive, and takes the loss of his wings pretty well (can't blame him, considering he can still trot ok.) Hence the 5.5.

Coherency: 8/10. Not quite as strong as the consistency, but still relatively sound.

Extra things depending on genre: AU gets a 5/10, and tragedy a 7/10. It doesn't start out depressing, and something big DOES happen to a character in a story, but they learn to deal with it, and Dash decides to not Sonic Rainboom again at the end. No touchy topics here, because it barely touches on them.

Now, the verdict. After making sure I've done my fucking math right, the story scores 55.5/80 points, or a 69.375% overall. It fails, but the good news is I HAVE seen the original iteration pre-Rage Review, so compared to how it is now, that's actually an improvement. It needs to be divided into multiple chapters, however, if one wishes to do away with the line-breaks and flesh this out more. It's still clunky, but compared to when it was first published, that part's easy. I wish the author luck in his endeavors, if he's gonna redo this story again.

JackRipper

A D is a pssing score fam. :raritywink:

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

5631591 Not here; you have to score a 75%—a C or higher.

JackRipper

Rest is pieces then :ajsleepy:

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

5632007 It's simply the way I set up the quirky grade system.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5