Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

And now, a spin on the season 1 premier prophecy. This oughta be fun.

Genre is simply Slice of Life.

Wordcount is a sizeable 3,104 words in length. I am so damn tempted to somehow convert that to pi it's not even funny.

Grammar: 10/10, flawless.

Characterization: 10/10 for Nightmare Moon. Hell, it fleshed her out a bit and ventured into how, exactly, she got the stars to aid her. It also fleshed out Twilight Velvet and Night Light a bit, despite them appearing... thrice in the show. Thus, 8/10. 10/10 for Celestia, despite her brief appearance in this story. She actually managed to seemingly anticipate Nightmare's scheme without her knowing it, and of course had a warming moment with Filly Twilight in said brief appearance.

Use of show canon: 7/10, regarding the prophecy, dream-walking, Velvet and Night being Twi's parents, and even gives mention to when Twi obtained her mark and Spike being turned into Gigalizard Supreme.

Plot consistency: 10/10. It delivered, soundly.

Coherence: 10/10. Likewise.

Extra things depending on genre: Slice of Life nabs another 10/10, since it deals with Nightmare being patient and how she went about getting the stars to help her.

Verdict time. This one scored higher than Fluttershy getting dick-kicked and the stuff happening fic thad made me lose my ability to even. It scores a solid 93%; it is an enjoying read. It has a critical flaw, though: exposition dumping. The narration rambles on and on for the first half about her scheme, and while it is clever and does bring up some good points, that made it fall a little flat. Then again, this was a one-shot slice-of-life fic that isn't as tense or descriptive as, say, a lengthy multi-chapter fic. I think that, had this been a multi-chapter story that took time to flesh out the scheme and showing, not telling, it would have been more enjoyable. It has my approval, certainly, for the concept alone.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1