Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
PrinceUniversa
Group Contributor

My third one and oh boy the way the description is written is making me interested! Again I am not alone on reviewing this, but this time, a different person has decided to join in. Say hello to Princess Lidith!

Lidith: Um, hello everyone. I hope I’m not being a burden to reviewing this fic. It is good to take a break on all the things going on in my life as a princess. Shall we begin friend?
Indeed we shall Lidith… Let us dive into the story at hand and see what awaits us.

Wings on the Horizon by StalkerPony
6, 874 Words
Genre: Human, Sad, Slice of Life

Grammar: 9/10
Grammar is outstanding. Though there were a few times where a single word was on repeat and I couldn’t help but shake my head from that, it did not detract from the grammar at hand. Ignoring that though, and the story here is excellent in portraying its emotion even if the story is somewhat cliché in its approach. Then again, every story has its cliché if hardly noticeable…
Characterization: 7/10
This was really hard for me to decide… As noted below, the only character here was Fluttershy and the human yet she rarely ever started a dialogue sequence. Most of the talking starts with the human meeting her and after that it’s just her doing what was noted below me. In the end, I decided to use the way she was described. The way she is expressed is her all right. From her emotions, to her kindness to a native yet unknown species, she is in character even with she doesn’t start a dialogue. But again, lack of even a single dialogue from her reduces the points given here…
Use of Canon: N/A
I was heavily debating with myself whether to use this or not. Since Fluttershy here in this book does not go through dialogue with the human here and only goes singing, dancing, and showing emotions through her movements, I decided to retcon this. Hope you reviewers can forgive me for this
Lidith: They’ll forgive you Prince, we are in a nice community after all…
True, but there are times where I doubt that, want to start the next critique for me then?
Lidith: Of that, I would be glad to.
Consistency: 7/10
Lidith: Ok, let’s see if I can do this. The consistency within the story was rather, at times, off. This story itself seems rather like something that could be altered without having much of a drastic change. Replacing dear Fluttershy here with a rather simple angel and things would hardly be noticeable save for the mentioning of hooves resounding through the sky.
Use of OCs: 9/10
Lidith: Now here is where it deserves a high score. The original character in question is not powerful, not one of those humans with rather unrefined emotions, no this is a normal human living a rather normal life at first before the beginning of war. I’ve been in wars and I can understand how much grief one must go through with a parent going to war and end up losing both of them. Can you take over for now Prince? I’ll be ready when I can handle these emotions right now…
Coherence: 8/10
Sure Lidith, here, the flow of the story is A-ok. It does not cut off as we get to see the gradual growing life of our human friend. From the beginning of his life to his elderly lifestyle, we see how much of an affect the miraculous meeting with Fluttershy slowly does over time. The shifts in time can be a bit wonky but it doesn’t detract from the story itself.
Human: 7.5/10
This is actually a genre I have most difficult summing up into words at times. It is not all that difficult, but it’s not easy either to describe human society at times. Here though, it can be summed by three words: Life worth living. The human here is going through a lot and even considered suicide, but that meeting with Fluttershy forever changed him and possibly impacted me as well.
Sad: 8/10
The sad part here involves a troubled life and be honest, who here has not gone through a troubled life? I live a good life here, but I had troubles in the past and to be fair, I’m not happy about my past one bit. Yet even with all those downs, there are a few ups ahead in my life and this story has one of those ups that can only be described as a blessing for anyone in need of help.
Slice of Life: 8.5/10
Lidith: I can take over this one if you like Prince, I’m fine here.
Go on ahead, I’m not stopping you Lidith.
Lidith: Thank you for the kind words. Here as it was already explained before, we see a life of a person living what was once a cozy life as a young child. From childhood to elder life, we see the growth and pain of a person who has lost everything. Up until then, suicide was to be only other option he had. He would have taken his own life had it not been for a kind angel to save him. Miracles like that will rarely happen, but if one who cares for you enough does this for you, be proud of that someone who rescued you.

64/80 = 80% Accepted

Lidith: I am good here now. Thank you for inviting me to review this story.
You welcome Lidith. Well, let’s get the gist of the story down. While the story may or may not need some improvement, it is a well-versed story of its own that I’d rather wish it would be featured or something like that. I’d recommend reading story if you can somewhat deal with the cliché start, though I doubt that matters at most. Here’s to another great story added to the accepted list.

4874174 Thank you both, this was great to wake up to :twilightsmile: I'll take your advice and comments to heart and use it to improve whenever I manage to write again :twilightsmile:

PrinceUniversa
Group Contributor

4874550 You welcome mat, it was a very nice story to read and I do not regret reading it one bit

Lidith: As do I, continue your writing journey and stand proud for your work

4874931 I'm glad you enjoyed it :twilightsmile:

PrinceUniversa
Group Contributor

4875020 Haha, don't we always? :raritywink:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5