Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Fiery Friendship by nionisbbbb
Wordcount: 3,067.
Genre: Slice of Life

Grammar: 9/10. Not much to say.

Characterization: not judging, this features only OCs.

Plot Consistency: 9/10. Not much to say. It's not long enough to really contradict anything. I do wonder why the phoenix's owner didn't get what was going on, but even that can be chalked up to the regeneration cycle happening rarely.

Use of OCs: 8/10. Does a good job, just wish it was a few hundred words longer to give us a bit more info on what's going on. Clocking at three thousand words, I feel like its just too short to get us fully invested in its characters. The most of got off of them was that one had fantasies about Luna, had powers of divination, and that the other wanted to be a guard, had a pet phoenix, stuff like that. It's enough to work with for the story, don't get me wrong, I just feel it could have been better if we knew a tiny bit more of our characters.

Coherence: 8/10. Not much to say. Holds together well, but it is a bit rushed at times. This does make sense, it was written for a contest over the course of one evening from a conversation I had with the author. I just wish it had been a bit longer.

Genre Usage: 10/10. This is a really good slice of life. I can imagine it appearing in the show, it was simply about a character and his pet and their struggles. It was simple, and I liked that.

Overall: 44/50 or 88%.

Final thoughts: this is an excellent piece. It does have similarities to a Bird in the Hoof, but that doesn't make it bad. This story features more on the relationship between the owner and the phoenix, not so much the phoenix's habits. If you want a nice little piece featuring a few OCs and small little struggles, this one is a good read.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2