Helping Hooves 558 members · 839 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

The Great Magical Theories Collection

Ever wondered how Pegasi could fly with those small wings? Or were you ever curious how Ponies could grab things with hoof? What about how Unicorns can do magic? Or how every time the Apples buck every single apple lands in a bucket? There are many theories out there and that's what we are here for, to gather them!

If you already know the Swear Collection, then this thread here is self-explenatory. Feel free to suggest new theories, or even improve some theories (for example the one for bucking, which are quite rough formulated, since I forgot the exact explanation I read once in a story).

With that being said, let the collecting begin! :yay:

Ponies/Zebras:

Manipulation of objects
All races with hooves have a low level telekinetic field around their front hooves, allowing them to manipulate objects with dexterity approaching that of a hand, but not quite reaching it, requiring unicorns to perform more complex tasks with levitation.

Unicorn:

Levitation and Teleportation
If a levitation or teleportation spell is casted, it is still connected to the Unicorns horn through an invisible line, like a thread. If you can see the connection you already know beforehand where the Unicorn teleports or what it is going to levitate.

Magical field locking
Mainly focused on telekinesis, if a unicorn is manipulating an object, another unicorn, or even alicorn, cannot manipulate that object at the same time until the unicorn manipulating the object releases it from his or her magical field. This also extends to levitation of the unicorn's body unless the unicorn allows it.

Self-Levitation
A Unicorn can't levitate herself to fly like Pegasi. It is quite a magical strain and uses lots of magic/mana, so that it is more effective to use Starswirls Butterflywing spell, who is only straining the magic once when using and not constantly while using, like the levitation does.

Pegasus:

Flight
Pegasi use magic to fly by lowering the effects of gravity on their bodies
Pegasi magic gives the wings a stronger lift to fly

Earth Pony:

Bucking
The buckets are enchanted so that the apples get drawn into/towards them
Earth Pony magic influences the apples to fall into the buckets

Earth Pony growth acceleration
The innate magic of the Earth pony race encourages plants to grow faster and healthier than if they were tended by any other race. This magic can be channelled by experienced Earth ponies but at a risk of developmental problems and other issues occurring with the plant.

Draconequus:

How to do Chaos Magic
If you try to cast chaos magic you have to be convinced that you will fail beforehand. It can be cast by ponies too, for example Pinkie Pie.

Hmm. This is rather interesting. I have a couple theories that could do with being added here.

Manipulation of objects
All races have a low level telekinetic field around their front hooves, allowing them to manipulate objects with dexterity approaching that of a hand, but not quite reaching it, requiring unicorns to perform more complex tasks with levitation.

Earth Pony growth acceleration
The innate magic of the Earth pony race encourages plants to grow faster and healthier than if they were tended by any other race. This magic can be channelled by experienced Earth ponies but at a risk of developmental problems and other issues occurring with the plant.

And one other that I have only encountered in a single fic (whose title escapes me at the moment), but is nonetheless interesting to me.

Magical field locking
Mainly focused on telekinesis, if a unicorn is manipulating an object, another unicorn, or even alicorn, cannot manipulate that object at the same time until the unicorn manipulating the object releases it from his or her magical field. This also extends to levitation of the unicorn's body unless the unicorn allows it.

May add any more that I can think of when It isn't four in the morning.

Thank you for your participating in gathering Magical Theories! :twilightsmile:

I only have one question to one of your theories.

Manipulation of objects
All races have a low level telekinetic field around their front hooves, allowing them to manipulate objects with dexterity approaching that of a hand, but not quite reaching it, requiring unicorns to perform more complex tasks with levitation.

You were writing all races, but mention then hooves. Do you mean with all races only the ponies and their gripping mechanism?

Well, any race with hooves, yeah. The dangers of writing anything at 4am, you mess up little things like that XD

Ok! :pinkiesmile:

Your entries have been added! :yay:

Great! Glad I could be of assistance. :pinkiesmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6