The Dusk Guard Saga 122 members · 14 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

This board is for discussion & speculation about anything related to the immortals, like which immortals you think we'll be seeing soon, the history of the immortals, what songs Celestia or Anubis enjoy listening to, ect.
Some of what I've noticed is that most of the immortals appear to be based off of mythology. Asterion from the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, Ahuizotl & Itzpapalotl from Aztec mythology, & Anubis from Egyptian mythology. I don't know Reus, Kyr, or Zawati are from. I'm assuming that Viking ZX invented them completely from scratch. It makes me curious to see if we'll soon learn more background on the immortals history. I wonder if Anubis will see Ahuizotl as a potential threat or vice-versa.

So if you have any fan theories about the immortals or their history, post them here! :pinkiehappy:

Well I just did a couple quick searches and came up with some possibly interesting things about two of those names. In Swahili Zawati apparently means gift or present. Reus is a term used by the Romans to refer to someone being accused, especially in the context of a criminal trial. Don't know if those have any bearings on those two or not.

Perhaps Zawati was a immortal who taught generosity, similar to how Anubis teaches that we should all, "Praise death."

4673187 an interesting thought. There are so many wonderful possibilities with all of them. Anubis is definitely an interesting character as an introduction to the immortals beyond Celestial and Luna, but I can't talk about him more than that. I don't want to unintentionally drop a spoiler. :scootangel:

Viking ZX
Group Admin

Well, if you check Patience and Ambition closely and extrapolate a little, Anubis didn't always teach "Praise Death" ...

But then again, what do I know? :raritywink:

I just realized that Queen Chrysalis' magic appears to work similarly to how Discord'so magic works in The Dusk Guard canon. Discord's power to relative to how much chaos magic he has stored at the moment, just like how Queen Chrysalis' power relative to how much love magic she has consumed at the moment.
Where does Tirek fit on the immortal power scale, though? In his MLP canon, it appears that he and Discord know each other from the past. He appears to be a planner, though not on Anubis' level.
Finally, what are the Elements of Harmony exactly? Who made them? They've proven to be able to defeat any immortal so far, including Discord at full power and Tirek when he had the power of three immortals plus two semi-immortals (is that a good word for Twilight and Cadence's "touch of the divine"), not to mention the combined magic of all of the ponies in Equestria. Did Reus grow the Tree of Harmony?

Finally, is no one here curious about what songs Anubis & Celestia like listening to?:twilightsmile:
I can imagine Celestia singing, "I'm Walking On Sunshine."

Well, I've always thought that the Elements of Harmony were a sort of "fruit" from the Tree of Harmony which was planted by the original Friendship Fire, but I'm not so sure that fits into the context here. At the very least, they're powerful magical artifacts. I'm not sure why Reus, who seems to be the God of maybe either redemption or justice would create something like the elements.
I don't know. It's not like you created the series or anything.

The credits for Chapter 35 of BtB is a HUGE gold mine for info on the immortals.

The Immortals

Anubis—Immortal charged with watching over the jackals and teaching mortals of the afterlife. Fashioned himself into a ruler of the dead after The Breaking. Skilled at creating ethereal circuits, known for his cunning.

Celestia—One of two immortal siblings charged with watching over ponykind, and personally tasked with controlling the movements of the sun. Fought against her fellow immortals during The Breaking in honor of the Creator’s wishes. Current Diarch of Equestria.

Luna—Second of the two immortals tasked with watching over ponykind, and personally responsible for the movements of the moon and tides. Also monitors dreams. Fought alongside her sister against her fellow immortals during The Breaking. Also infamously became Nightmare Moon. Current Diarch of Equestria.

Ahuizotl—An almost comical immortal with a supreme knowledge of natural fauna. Stayed neutral during The Breaking and has become an almost comical villain in the centuries since then—though how serious he is about it no one can say. Some theorize that The Breaking may have played some part in this.

Itzpapalotl—Immortal responsible for the virtues of Justice, Mercy, and Love. One of the most dangerous, murderous, and ruthless following The Breaking. Slain with great regret by Celestia and Luna.

Reus—One of two immortal siblings charged with watching over griffon-kind. Controller of winds, and ruler of the skies. Was the first to decide that the Creator was not returning and break from his assigned task. Later underwent a change of heart but vanished.

Kyr—Second of the two immortal brothers charged with protecting and guiding griffon-kind. Controller of storms and ruler of the skies. Fought in honor of the Creator during The Breaking. Vanished not long after his brother disappeared. Current whereabouts and status unknown.

Asterion—Guardian of the minotaurs with the ability to sense and manipulate deep-earth metals. She died during the breaking.

Zawati—Guardian of Zebra-kind responsible for the virtues of peace and knowledge. Slain by Itzpapalotl shortly after The Breaking.

Er-Error-ror:NOT A COMPLETE LIST

FILE TERMINATED

Something I think would be cool is a side story that takes place during the Breaking from Celestia & Luna's perspective.

4734715 looks like you beat me to it on posting here. :pinkiehappy:

Yeah a large gold mine indeed. It has been rattling around in my brain a bit since I got a really good look at it all a week or so ago.
I'd also love to see a side story or full story from during the Breaking, but I have a feeling any attempt might have possible spoilers for the plot of the main novels till they are all done. :derpyderp2: Not that I know much more than you do at this point, just a hunch on my part.

Both Kyr and Reus look especially interesting seeing as they both disappeared rather than being confirmed dead, banished, etc.

I have a feeling that Reus and Kyr's disappearance will be a major plot point sometime in the future, though the fact that they both sided with the Creator will probably mean that they won't be antagonists.
Something that makes me curious is the way Celestia said that Anubis was clever.
BtB - Chapter 35

“To add to that, you four not only thwarted that plot, but did something that it appears even my sister and I were unable to do: Stop Anubis.” She let out a sigh, a faraway, almost sad look coming across her face. “He always was a clever one.”

She shook her head, the look vanishing as her long, multi-colored mane rippled behind her.

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but the way Celestia said, "He was always a clever one." has me curious.

Yeah I agree on Rues and Kyr, though I sense there is a story Rues and the that change of sides.

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but the way Celestia said, "He was always a clever one." has me curious.

Edit: dang it I can never get YouTube links to work right on here: Here's what I can say to that quote.

Though in all seriousness yeah I'd be intereted in more of Anubis's past as well, I'm sure there is a story there.

4734952 hmm I just had a really crazy thought pop through my head as I was rereading BtB ch 35. Could it be possible one of the missing immortals is behind and/or is connected to The Violet Heart?

Finally, is no one here curious about what songs Anubis & Celestia like listening to?:twilightsmile:
I can imagine Celestia singing, "I'm Walking On Sunshine."

Or maybe that's Luna's favorite song. :pinkiegasp:

edit: Image source

I was thinking that a immortal might be behind the Violet Heart, but I couldn't think of any reason one of them might become the Violet Heart though. Still, it would take someone of great intelligence to create a nearly untraceable network that was even able to discover that Anubis had returned and what he was after, and there are still other immortals that haven't been mentioned yet.
:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Viking ZX
Group Admin

Well this is behind the times (that's what I get for releasing the finale while out at sea), but ...

If you're referring to the clever part, Anubis wasn't lying when he mentioned, at least in narrative, that he'd designed everything that went into the Necropolis, his armor, his staff, etc. Playing Celestia and Luna so they'd thought they'd beaten him when instead they gave him a convenient excuse to disappear while the Necropolis charged—completely intentional. Anubis was an intelligent and clever immortal, clever enough to outlast quite a few of his "siblings."

If you're referring to the "sad" part (and I think someone else asked about that, too), despite all Anubis did, hearing that he was dead still brought a moment of regret out of Celestia. It'd be sort of like learning that a sibling you'd had a falling out with a long, long time ago had gotten out of prison ... and been killed doing the same horrible, terrible thing that had put them there in the first place. Do you necessarily disagree with what was done? No. But you'd still be saddened by the loss of a sibling, and while Anubis and Celestia, as well as all the other immortals, may have not been 100% siblings, they were all part of the same "family" of immortals the Creator assigned over the world.

Oh, I get it. The immortals are who Celestia has known the longest and are the only ones who will continue to be there for her when Celestia's mortal friends have passed on. This really puts into perspective why Celestia and Luna were so hesitant to kill the other immortals in the war in the past.
As for Anubis' cleverness, I found his teleportation device aboard the Necropolis quite impressive since I remember Sky Bolt saying how difficult it was to develop one back in Trust.

“Well, first of all because it didn’t work,” Sky Bolt said with a shake of her head. “I’m trying to adapt a teleport spell into a mod, but it’s just not working right! I keep building larger and larger spell circuits, trying to make it work, but every time the complexity of the spellwork and the amount of magic it uses overload the circuit and the whole thing goes up.

“Well, teleports aren’t like enchantments or those other spells,” Sky Bolt said, shrugging. “They’re active.” Another feather was plucked from her wing. “They rely on hundreds of small, incremental power changes based on all kinds of minute requirements. I’m not building something basic or static, it has to adapt and live. I’m trying to pack all the miles of nerves running through a unicorn’s horn into something small enough to fit on a pony’s back, and it’s just not going to work. At least,” she said with a disappointed look, “not with the technology I have on hand.

Even with a few hundred years of studying and researching, I still think it's impressive Anubis built this thousands of years before Sky Bolt started. (Anubis' teleportation system was a lot bigger, though)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17