Hidden Depths 154 members · 353 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
NemoSpecific
Group Admin

I just read through Princess of Friendship and while it's a nice enough story, I don't think it really unearths new facets of the characters.

Twilight's love of her friends, and her willingness to do whatever it takes to save them... well, that's not hidden depths. It's kind of exactly how she presents herself on the show.

I'm willing to be talked out of this, but I'm inclined to remove it from the group. Any counterarguments? All in favor? All against?

3341301 It is your group and your rules apply. For your consideration I will make a case for the story in question.

This group is dedicated to collecting stories that explore a pony's behaviors

It's not enough that a pony acts a certain way... WHY do they act that way?

There are just so many underlying characterizations taking place in this fic, I'll just name a few:
- Twilight is almost mean to her friends. That's not how we know her. It is revealed, however, that she's high on her previous successes while she's struggling with the prospect of running a kingdom. Sombra's advices aren't helping the matter.
- Rarity isn't oblivious to Spike's desires, however, she does use them to her own advantage.
- Rainbow Dash usually notices everything and can save multiple ponies at the same time in the blink of an eye. Not if she's tired and hungry, though.
- Pinkie Pie warns of real problems. She doesn't perceive reality differently, she just communicates it through a silly filter. It is the reason why she is misunderstood and her warnings are ignored.

That's just in first chapter. I can go on about the second one as well. The reactions of mane 7 aren't their usual ones, they are explored and explained, however.

NemoSpecific
Group Admin

Giving the characters reasons for the immediate scene isn't the same as exploring the motivations for who they are as a whole, though.

Your story puts the Mane 6, and Twilight in particular, in a bad situation and details how they would react to that... but it doesn't give new insight into their personalities.

Twilight being slightly overconfident and stressed about perceived responsibilities - that's just in character for her. Likewise, Pinkie's always had a solid grasp of what's going on and a hard time conveying that (see: Parasprites).

Rainbow Dash being too hungry to save everyone, and Twilight being too focused on her book - those are stumbling blocks for this situation, and don't shape the characters as a whole.

Your story is about the characters reacting; not about why they're the ponies they are today.

3344484 I see your point now. I've removed the story from the folders.

I have another story, where I explore the depths of Sweetie Belle and explain her evil nature.

That chapter, however, isn't published yet. I'll add it when my published fic reaches that chapter, if that's okay.

I'm sorry about the confusion, I thought the group was about explaining OOC behaviour, but I see now, that it's actually about explaining in-character behaviour.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4