Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Noble Thought
Group Admin

So, this group kinda became a thing. Eighteen members. So... I suppose I should write something here about what we want to do with this group.

I'm Noble Thought, co-admin with The Watcher 509. I'm mostly an author, but I also do critiques and analysis of stories as well. Doing so helps me see things about my own writing,

It sorta started as a joke, but this is something that both Watcher and I sort of might like to pursue. This is a smaller group, of course, and there are already other groups that do editorializing and whatnot. Our place will be more niche, I think.

What do you all think? Where would you like to see this group go? What kind of Niche do you think we could fill that isn't already covered by other groups?

Thanks for joining and I hope to see you all around the site!

3311761 There is a bigger need for editing than the other groups can handle. In some groups you have to publish an unedited story in order to be able to put it in the group's editing folder. Then you have to wait for a month. Then you have to constantly bug the editor about it, because he/she is busy with 20 other fics. The whole process is long and tedious.

So, the niche I'm proposing is the reverse process of what the groups usually do. Here we could have like a thread for fics needing editing and any potential editors could just drop on them. When an author would publish the story, he/she (or the administrator) would delete the comment referring to that story.

Sometimes editors just have like 15 minutes to waste and a thread like that would be awesome for that. They wouldn't need to contact the author and waste their time. They could just pick a story (preferably in Google Doc) to their liking and start editing it, and they would stop whenever they would feel like it. No pressure, no strings attached, no back and forth talking, no complications. Just pure editing heaven for editors.

3311793 That idea might work, but it should also be available to writers who dislike editing. Sort of a 'whoever wants to can work on it' type of things for authors.

Noble Thought
Group Admin

That actually sounds really good. I'd like to limit it to Google Docs, though. Google has a lot of resources for that kind of thing. I'll need to give it some thought. An undertaking like this is a rather big one. Also, many of the editors for those other groups may be the same ones that come to this group. There doesn't seem to be as large of an editor base as there is a story base, and I'd rather not have this group get inundated as well.

Granted, we are rather small at the moment, but if we get going, it's only going to get as bad as other groups. Perhaps having the comments stay in the thread would be for the best. View access only for the Google Doc?

That kind of thing will need to be moderated as well, and I suppose it's easier to moderate, somewhat, here than it would be on Google Docs where the only moderator is the author themselves. Here, it's myself and Watcher and whomever else we want to have join for the responsibility.

I'll have to think about it, but any thoughts you have as well would be nice. Any thoughts anypony else has would also be greatly appreciated.

3311828 By

They could just pick a story (preferably in Google Doc)

I meant they would pick a comment in a thread that linked to a story in Google Doc. The list of stories would not be in Google Doc but in a thread. Just the stories would be in Google Doc format.

Stories in Google Docs would be in 'can edit' or 'can comment' format. 'View only' is hard to edit.

Authors would be motivated to remove their comments when they no longer wanted any editing to be done on their story (either it has been published or they had enough of input from editors).

But just in case some author forgot, an administrator could check if the said story has already been published. If yes, the comment portraying it could be deleted by the administrator. The simpler way to do it, would be to have comments be posted for 1 month then getting automatically deleted. Author could just post another comment if he was still searching for more editing.

The main difference from other systems would be, that the editors would be the ones picking the stories they would edit, not the authors picking editors.

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Gotcha, and that's sort of what I meant. I am hungry, though and I think poorly on an empty stomach. Good thing P.F. Chang is here to save me!

Good thoughts, Dragor. I'll work on getting a plan together this week and start getting things going. It'll be slow going at first, I'm sure. But, it would be nice. Time for foods now.

3311801 Who enjoy Editing, unless they are Editors?
As a Writer, it takes more than enough time to just write the story. I do enough editing before the story can get anywhere as it is.

3311828 G-Docs could be a good format for editoral aids. Comments should be perfectly safe as well. At least, it sounds as if it would.
I could put my story up with link in such a thread once it is available.

3311911 Never do anything important on an Empty Stomach. Just irksom and leads to poor desitions and regrets.

PS: how do I make the doc accept comments from others?

So no I'm confused with this group I just joined nad know nothing at all like where do we get the book reveiws

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8