Sunset Shimmer is Best Pony 721 members · 641 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

Due to the recent Friendship Games, We now have canonical evidence that Sunset has become an alicorn, and would be able to overpower Twilight in a magic duel. However, that was merely Human Twilight, and she also didn't truly understand how magic worked. So my question is: Has Sunset become even more powerful than Pony Twilight, and would she be able to beat her in a 1-on-1 fight?
Please give your opinions on this:
-If you don't think she is, please give legitimate proof that she can't (troll comments will not be appreciated)
-If you think she is more powerful, same thing as the other side
-PLEASE RESPECT OTHERS OPINIONS
Alright, let's get this debate started!

Hmm. That's a really tough question. My gut reaction is "no", but thinking on it, I'm not sure. In that Friendship Games duel (and I'm just taking a wild guess that spoilers are gonna be all over this thread), Sunset beat Twilight when she was momentarily distracted. However, that Twilight had absorbed the power of not just the others, but also the portal itself. She may have had more magical power than Sunset during that fight, and Sunset was able to win with just a brief moment of advantage. But, as you said, that was human Twilight, and we can't be sure how she compares to pony Twilight.

I was gonna say that Twilight would win because Sunset hasn't been able to use magic for something like three years, and might be out of practice. But even with that period of hornlessness, Sunset was able to teleport just as fast as Twilight when she was stealing the crown. Considering Sunset's hands/hooves-on approach to study that she mentioned, she may actually be better versed in practical magic use than Twilight, not to mention that she may be older than Twilight and more experienced in general.

If Sunset came back to Equestria as an alicorn (not sure she would), she would probably stand a pretty good chance of beating Twilight if the playing field was even. I can't say for sure, but if Twilight can be bested by Starlight, I think Sunset certainly has the capability of winning.

4752897 Wait, WAIT! I have one question: Are you sure Sunset is an Alicorn now? Please tell me. I'm dying for the answer.

I just said it was evidence, I don't know for sure...
Or maybe she is something even stronger?

I'm not 100 percent sure she is an alicorn but we have evidence supporting that she is, so we can't dismiss it.:applejackunsure:

4752897 I'd argue no. In the case of the confrontation between Sunset and Midnight Sparkle in FG, Sunset had less raw power but more control and understanding of it. Even with said understanding, however, it took Spike's intervention to save the day.

4753009 It is an evidence indeed. But if she's an Alicorn, is she a Princess of Friendship, too? Also, if human Twilight travels to Equestria, will she turn into a Unicorn or Alicorn? Sorry for the out-of-topic questions :twilightsheepish: But in the topic, I believe Sunset was stronger than human Twilight, because human Twilight has no experience in magic, while if Sunset turns into Daydream Shimmer in Euqestria and fights the pony version of Midnight Shimmer, she'll most likely get defeated, because pony Twilight has years of magic experience.

Yes, but Sunset was able to hold her own in the fight until that moment of distraction and then she took advantage of the momentary weakness to try and get through to Twilight. So, my point still stands.

You know, this fight actually reminded me of the conflict between these two characters:

Ultimo (red guy) and Vice (green guy)
Pure Good and Pure Evil

Yet she was defeated by Starlight Glimmer. Also, Twilight is very predictable in combat, so it wouldn't take long for Sunset to notice that and take advantage of it. Also, Twilight's basic battle strategy is blast the problem and if it doesn't work, blast harder. There is only so much you can get out of that strategy. And Sunset would most likely have a lot of human knowledge to help her against Pony Twilight, like battle strategies and martial arts. Sunset also has tenacity on her side as well.

4753033 Hmmm, martial arts, you're right! Now you made me imagine Sunset punch Twilight through a wall :twilightoops: I really wish something like that is possible to happen in MLP, but it's not :ajsleepy: Besides, Starlight defeated Twilight because (1- She caught her by surprise and didn't give her time to release the blast (2- Because Twilight has never encountered a Cutie-Mark-removing spell, but the second time Starlight tried to blast the ponies with her spell, Twilight managed to block it with a magic shield.

4753029 For me, it reminded me of this battle:

I just love how MLP's fights are similar to those of DBZ :twilightsmile:

She still lost, and I brought it up because it shows that Twilight is painfully naive and very inexperienced with how to tell when a villain is about to do something bad to you, or just combat in general. We all need to understand that Twilight is mostly a Scholar at heart, not a fighter.

4753040 Yeah, she's a scholar more than a fighter. That's why she needs to train on fighting! And I know the right way to do that...

...Come to think about it, the second video may not be a good idea; fighting the God of Destruction is a sick training method :twilightblush:

4753024 Yeah, but for how long could she have held her own? Twilight had more raw power, Sunset had better control. They might've been evenly matched then, but one of them would've given out eventually.

Something's telling me you're a Dragonball nerd:scootangel:

Ah, but then the question is who would give out first?

Also, about that alicorn boost in magic, are we absolutely sure that Twilight's magic got amped up? I say this because I watched MLP all the way through, and Twilight's magic seemed to grow more powerful over time. This made me think that maybe becoming an alicorn isn't a power boost but rather a symbol or evolution to let the body take a shape to better handle the power you built up over time. But then again, there is the spell that turned Twilight into an alicorn. But again, she didn't seem to have much more power than when she was at her peak as a unicorn.

4753061 Yeaaaahhhhh, you can say that :twilightblush: It's not just that, but MLP has become similar to DBZ.

seem familiar?

But if she's an Alicorn, is she a Princess of Friendship, too?

I would say more along the lines of The Princess of Courage

What do you mean by more powerful?

Able to pump more RAW POWER into unicorn magic? That was stated in the first movie and shown in the second.
Able to win in a fight? While a boring comparison because the show doesn't focus on fighting, she canonically went on adventures to study magic rather than sitting in the library so she probably can handle herself.
Does she have twilight's spellcasting breadth? Almost certainly not.

Also, about that alicorn boost in magic, are we absolutely sure that Twilight's magic got amped up? I say this because I watched MLP all the way through, and Twilight's magic seemed to grow more powerful over time. This made me think that maybe becoming an alicorn isn't a power boost but rather a symbol or evolution to let the body take a shape to better handle the power you built up over time. But then again, there is the spell that turned Twilight into an alicorn. But again, she didn't seem to have much more power than when she was at her peak as a unicorn.

We know there are spells individual unicorns can use that Twilight can't learn simply because of the power requirements behind them. (Aging.)
And no Twilight showed she got no direct boost from becoming an Alicorn, she would nominally have access to Pegasus and Earth Pony magic but she doesn't seem to train them.

pony Twilight has years of magic experience.

Actually, if you think about it. Sunset was already powerful enough to become an alicorn when she left Celestia's tutelage. That seems to show that she had already achieved the power level Twilight was at when she ascended. So, who knows? Also, on a trading card, it says that Sunset knows everything Twilight knows, if not more.

It would depend on where it happens. If it is pony world I would lean towards twilight because twilight has the advantage of being an alicorn a little long. But human it would be sunset.

But I think it would all come down to who has the most reservers of Magic. The most likely is a tie.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24