Over the Hill Authors 148 members · 416 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Ah! Ahahahaha! I finally found something I've been trying to find since, like, forever!

So some time in the late 1980s/early 1990s, when I was just an itty-bitty bunny, I got this toy for Christmas. It was basically a collection of these square-bracket-like pieces of plastic; you could arrange six of them in such a way that they formed a surprisingly stable cube. If you were clever, you could do cool things like interlock them with other cubes and stuff. I loved this thing; it was really kind of difficult to build the cube because you had to be careful doing it or it'd fall apart, but very satisfying to get right. The one I had was in blue, red, and yellow.

I never knew the name of the toy, and since then I have never seen it sold anywhere, nor mentioned by anyone, and nobody remembered it. I actually had to draw it just to show people what the hell I was talking about.

But today, I finally found out what it was. I luckily caught a glimpse of a YouTube thumbnail showing the toy as I remember it, and indeed, the guy in the video identifies it as being "Chain Reaction".

Google knows almost nothing about this toy (although the generic name probably isn't helping). But it's being relaunched, apparently, as "Spacecubes", and I do believe I will be picking myself up a few if it makes it to market. ^^

I love that guy. He's the kind of guy who never grew up and lost his sense of wonder.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2