Over the Hill Authors 148 members · 416 stories
Comments ( 68 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 68

Hi, just discovered this group, and I'm full of obscure and annoying '70s and '80s references.

Turning 47 this year, though most days I feel either 12 or 80; sometimes both. Although I didn't really watch it, I remember my younger sister watching G1 MLP starting with Rescue At Midnight Castle, and owning a number of the old toys (which I'm betting she really wishes she still had, since she's gotten into watching FiM as well, thanks to her own kids).

I have one or two stories that could be considered "mature", though neither is really worth the bother of reading. I have two more I'm working on at the moment, but neither is anywhere near having even a completed first draft, let alone publishable.

MLP:FiM isn't my first foray into fanfiction, that dubious honour was given to William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, in the old days of alt.cyberpunk.chatsubo on USENET; followed somewhat later by Warhammer 40,000.

These days I spend my time working, writing and reviewing pony fanfic, drinking the most unusual and pretentious craft-brew beer I can find, and panicking over how old I've gotten and how difficult and complicated my life has become.

SPark
Group Admin

5815721 Hey, welcome to the group! You could talk to my husband about pretentious craft beers. Though you'd have to be prepared for his ranting about IPAs and people who think hops are the be-all and end-all of beer.

I didn't think there would actually be a group for old farts like me. Turned 50 last year and decided to keep the promise I made as a 20 year old that I would be a writer. I now have 15 finished or in-progress stories here on FimFiction. Mainly mature stuff (yes, I write clop), but also some funny stuff as well.

I spend my days raising my kids, doing odd jobs and being generally crazy. My biggest claim to fame is having been on the reality TV show "Canada's Worst Driver." In which I held on for dear life while a buddy of mine tried not to kill us while being a horrible driver.

SPark
Group Admin

5879215 It's never to late to start writing! :twilightsmile: Welcome to the group!

DH7

5815835 I know this post is five weeks old, but it sounds like I have similar tastes to your husband's. Maybe. I dislike IPA's, and am more of a vanilla-stout guy when it comes to craft beer. I actually wish it were more common for craft-breweries to do lagers.

When I came to this site, I thought I'd be the older person here. I'm only thirty-two, but I was under the impression that everyone else here would be teenagers. There certainly is a high population of tweens, teens, and people in their early twenties, but people my age are also fairly common, and I've run into users in their sixties.

SPark
Group Admin

5879644 His go-to is Belgians not stouts. Personally I like sour ales. Though really I mostly drink cider. :ajsmug:

I drink almost everything. I do rather like hop-monster IPAs, but I like a lot of other stuff as well. Pretty much everyone brews hop-monster IPAs of some sort, but that's due mainly to the market demand, American IPAs outsell all other styles combined. They are the single most popular beer style in the US and Canada.

Personally, my favorites are Belgians, particular Abbey-style tripels and quaddrupels, saisons, wits, and lambics. I also really like thick, heavy stouts, funky brett beers, various sours, and spiced ales of all sorts. There's a brewpub here that does a very interesting range of "experimental" beers, mostly wild-fermented and sour.

And if you take any of those and make them with pumpkin, I'm in heaven. I still have two bottles of Timmerman's Pumpkin Lambic vintage 2011 in my cellar which I am hoarding.

SPark
Group Admin

5879704 You know, I haven't had a pumpkin beer before. I'd try one. I'd try just about anything. Honestly one of my favorite things about booze is just sampling the endless variety. I love going to tastings, I don't even care what it is. If a place has a buncha little samples of something, I'm there. My current favorite bar is a growler fill place where they'll just endlessly give you itty bitty tasters (they have hilariously tiny half ounce glasses shaped like regular beer glasses) and I'll go there and try like twelve things and then just get two drinks, and they'll be the only two things I tried that I even would drink a whole glass of, but I like trying the other ones anyway. They don't seem to mind, they basically push the samples on you.

Yeah, a lot of places around here do tastes like that. Most places do flights of tasters, small 3-4 ounce glasses, and you typically get 4-6 at a time.

Pumpkin beers are my absolute favorites, in any style. There's an annual pumpkin beer festival held by a local brewery, that includes breweries from all over the world (mostly the US). A lot of them show up in shops as seasonal offerings starting in September, but are usually completely gone by February. :applecry:

DH7

I'll drink anything, even shit I don't like, but to be honest, that's not for reasons as healthy as an interest in trying different tastes, but trying new stuff is a nice bonus. Right now, I'm broke, and I've been drinking these super-disgusting malt-beverages that taste like someone melting fruit roll-ups into a fifth of vodka.

I'm generally a beer guy almost exclusively. I prefer baddownright abominable beer to good whiskey. I do like wine every now and then, but my taste in wine is atrocious: I have this long-standing habit of drinking MD 20/20 (which many would say does not actually pass for wine) while watching anime.

SPark
Group Admin

5879834 Yup, my favorite brewpub does the flights, and they usually have enough ciders on tap to do a whole cider flight! Also they have awesome food. If I weren't perpetually broke I would eat there weekly!

Seasonal stuff is so frustrating! My favorite cheap-ass big commercial cider as an Angry Orchard seasonal, their summer honey. I can get better locally year round, but not for a buck a bottle I can't.

If I weren't perpetually broke I would eat there weekly!

Story of my life. Too many restaurants here in town where that would be the case, including my favorite brewpub.

My favorite cheap-ass big commercial cider as an Angry Orchard seasonal, their summer honey. I can get better locally year round, but not for a buck a bottle I can't.

I haven't seen their elderflower cider around for a long time, and that was my favorite of theirs.

Lots of better local cider around, but yeah, much more expensive.

5879704 Oh man, I want a pumpkin beer now!

SPark
Group Admin

5879865 Ah, the joys of flirting with alcoholism. Or of having gone past flirting. :raritywink:

I probably drink a little more than I should right now, but my life is a stress disaster, so I'm excusing myself for the time being. Though I have been trying to keep things within reasonable limits, if nothing else because alcohol does have calories, and I'd like to not become a blimp. Which actually has sent me to mixed drinks. Cider is... not good on the calories to drunkenness ratio. That Summer Honey that I love is something like 280 kcal a bottle? I forget exactly, but it was absurd. Shot of brandy is 70 kcal for the same amount of drunk. Though I don't like it straight either, I do at least have to put a dash of something sweet in. Triple sec is my current go-to for that. I have a lot of sidecars currently.

DH7

I can stand to lose about fifty pounds.

I don't drink as much as I used to. It's fluctuated for me over the years. My most frequent problem hasn't been drinking too frequently, but going far too overboard during social occasions, which is something that I find is less of a problem as I get older and learn to pace myself. I've had very brief periods of time where I was drinking moderately on a daily basis, but I've never had a problem backing off when I felt that I was getting a little too used to it.

Hello!

I'm a thirty-one year old injection molding technician who has now worked eleven years in the same factory deep inside the forests of Sweden. My other hobby is long-term investing in stocks, so I tend to either go to pony-conventions or shareholder meetings for defense contractors, which are roughly the same thing.

I've read a ton on this site, and I've grown kinda bored of all the 'HiE teenager goes to Equestria stories', so this group seems like a given, and I now only search for stories that have an older protagonist with some actual life experience and common sense. In my own stories the main characters tends to always be above fifty.

SPark
Group Admin

Welcome to the group! It is always nice to find something other than the bog-standard "coming of age"/"idiot teenager" story.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 68