Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

http://www.johntreed.com/military.html
This is the general page.
What do you guys think of this?

totallynotabrony
Group Admin

My thoughts?

Whoever this guy is, he needs to be more concise and focused. Looking at his page, I get the idea that he writes about the military, but after that I'm presented with a wall of links. TL;DR

I once wrote a blog about this kind of thing

Okay, from reading a solid dozen and some odd posts, I can reach a few conclusions.

1. This guy has some good ideas.
* Don't make bullshit training that people will never use which has no purpose other than to look tough or make trainees suffer.
* Focus on results versus process.
* Americans have a crippling fetish for "latest and greatest" tech, even when it really isn't and when an easier low tech solution already exists.
2. This guy has some insane ideas.
* Just about anything even remotely political he posts. "If you beleive in progressive taxation and a safety net, you're a Marxist." By that definition, Adam Smith, of Wealth of Nations fame, qualifies as a Marxist.
* The idea that absolutely every officer in the military is an incompetent careerist.
* Rangers are useless everywhere that isn't warm, heavily vegetated, sparsely populated, and free of dogs.
* That there is no such thing as PTSD or TBI, or any harm attributable to Agent Orange.
* Tanks are worthless/inviable on 97% of the earth's surface.
* Any football team could, with just a bit of basic combat training, take on any military combat arms unit, and win.
3. This guy has some terrible ideas.
* Classify Purple Hearts according to reasons earned -- humiliate anyone whose Enemy Marksmanship Award is for anything other than getting shot deliberately in the face by the enemy during a crucial mission to win the war.
* Get rid of officers who don't win battles, even if they're otherwise competent at what they do.
* Organize the military around junior officers.
4. This guy is a bitter piece of work.
* He isn't a team player whatsoever; he often talks about how people often lamented that he wouldn't play the game, and he called it a duty to disobey orders which he considers stupid or pointless.
* He almost never discusses any of his teammates or units or comrades -- it's always about him.
* He obsesses over results to the point where he completely looses track of how to get there.
* He often complains about alleged luxury or whatever in the army,especially career pensions -- makes me think he's probably butthurt that he didn't get to catch the gravy train while his allegedy dumber and less competent colleagues did.
* Seems butthurt that he never made Pathfinder or SF, and so alleges all elite units are actually just filled with Neanderthal masochists with lots of PR.
* Mentions that he was chronically fearful of being marked with low performance.
* People in the US Army are by and large incompetent, lazy, stupid, and basically either gormless fratboys or spineless careerists, perhaps even both.
* He most likely has a few screws loose and has an amateur understanding of the things related to how wars work and why.
* Lacks understanding about why you can't really "win" a unconventional war.
* Discounts victories which don't fit into his doctrine that America hasn't won a war since 1945.
* Claims that the Wehrmacht existed since 1866.
* Extremely pessemistic about the military, especially the army, especially the American one.
* Doesn't seem to have any compassion for wounded or disabled veterans.
* Gets angry at people who try to show gratitude to veterans.
* Can't get to the point or stay on target, especially when there's ranting to be done.
* Claims to have no bias as well as to not traffic in emotion, despite the highly personal and opinionated style of his writings.

So basically the man is a moron

I wouldn't qualify Smith as a Marxist for a few reasons, one of which being he died before it even existed.

I think it said he graduated from West Point; if he did, he reminds me a lot of Custer...

So add hypocrite to his list of titles? Not that he needs anything else to make me dislike him after he insulted parts of my family

So basically the man is a moron

Perhaps not a complete moron, but doubtlessly a jerk with a hugely inflated ego. All I'm saying is that if he were really as brilliant as he tries to hype himself as being, then he likely would have not only been kept in the army, but he also would have likely prospered and also been put into positions where he could have been used as a greater asset. He won't talk at all about him discharge, so it makes me think it was something wholly embarassing. He also admits to going to West Point, Ranger School, Vietnam, and also trying out for top tier elite units, so it doesn't seem terribly likely that he developed his grudge against the Army until after he had left. From the way he endlessly moans about all the selfish, conniving, suckups in the officer corps, I think he tried to play as an officer by his own rules, but was too much of a maverick to ignore, but not good enough to tolerate for the results he brought. He talks about a lot of things as being capable of ending an officer's career, and they more or less are by and large to do with other officers not liking you enough. We know that he was a company commander, but not anything about him rising higher. He mentions not playing along with going to a lot of social gatherings and the like. So yeah, he sounds like a guy who wishes he was good enough to be a maverick, but instead of competent and jerky, he was just incompetent and uncooperative.

Thank you!

I've read around half of the links but I realized that this was far from my area of expertise -I couldn't tell which were good ideas if slightly unlikely or completely idiotic- so I posted it here to see what you guys made of it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9