The General's Battlegrounds 275 members · 187 stories
Comments ( 85 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 85

Any Stories of Battle won and lost in any game that are so great, so glorious, so heroic that they must be shared with the rest of the world? Post them here.
I still remember one from Rome Total War- Barbarian Invasion.
Here it is, for your reading.

Playing as Eastern Roman Empire, currently at war with empire in the middle east (forget their name, light blue and red color scheme though) gathering troops from across the empire into massive army for an offensive to finally crush them. This includes some of the best infantry I have available coming from the capital, leaving only a 4 units of heavy infantry fresh out of basic to guard it. Then they come. From the North. The Horde. The Huns. 5 maxed out armies of infantry and cavalry coming down to loot everything in their path. Their first stop on this little outing? My Capitol, Constantinople. Siege begins, freaking out, offensive in the east has already begun, army already besieging massive city. Have to call up the already pitiful garrisons remaining in nearby cities for support, and it still will take them a a while to get there. A few turns pass, first assault on the walls. Huns are using battering rams and ladders, battering rams go as well as you would expect, ladders though... I don't recall exact numbers, but their were 4 maxed armies besieging the city, that means a LOT of infantry. So they attack, and are thrown back heavy casualties on their side, but my units are cut down to half strength. I'm trying to recruit the lightest units possible just to get some fodder to slow them, still gonna take multiple turns. A few more assaults, and my infantry are down to around 12 in the weakest 22 in the strongest. But then just like that, the storm breaks, the Huns have actually run out of infantry to scale the walls, all they've got left is cavalry. I couldn't fucking believe it, the Huns moved out of my empire entirely. By the time the relief forces get there, the Huns are gone and the units that defended the place are at gold rank 2. Fucking Awesome.

this is for red alert 3:twilightblush:

There was one skirmish between me (as the soviets) and a medium Rising Sun AI.
Deciding do something beside my usual Kirov armada when I play as the Soviets, I decided to build seven twinblades, 3 V4s, a bullfrog, and enough conscripts and flak troopers to fill the rest of the choppers.
After flying them over towards the enemy base and dropping them off near a relatively lightly defended side of their base, I sent them in. After the intial charge, I had destroyed their MCV and barracks and mecha bay.... but I was left with only one conscript.

That brave little comrade then destroyed the entire base all by himself with nothing but his ADK and Molotovs:rainbowkiss:

that's cool, like a little communist train that could deliver wheat so that the comrades working in the factory may have their bread and continue to support the motherlands efforts to overthrow the capitalist pigs of the west... or far east, in that instance.

I called him the lil' conscript that could

And there was another instance on a naval map where I accidentally set one of the AIs to brutal and the rest were set to easy (I was wanting a quick match)

That AI spammed so many Choppers it was ridiculous:twilightoops:

3507567 Napoleon online battle. the rules were 2 units only. I was using the Ottoman Empire. 4v4. Close to the end, my cannons were gone, and the only unit I had left was a skirmish unit. They were fighting against a group of rifles, and soon, an elite regiment charged our position. We beat them back, but I lost my general. The main reason we won, was because one of my allies didn't listen to the rules, but my one regiment holding that house the whole battle, to me, that took guts.

Don't know if that would count as epic.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Shogun 2.

I was playing as the Hojo. My good armies were on different side of my terrirtory, one all the way at Kozuke and the other all the way at Owari. A couple turns ago, the Shimazu declared war on me. I pushed the thought away,they wouldn't POSSIBLY be dumb enough to send an army across the entire fucking map for a naval invasion... right?

Well, they were. Next thing I fucking know I see a fucking fleet with a fullstack army on it. Though, since the AI tends to be worse than dumb... it was mainly yari and bow samurai with two generals... one of them being their damn daimyo.

So, I basically knew that these assholes were going to land near my capital, based upon my estimations of: "These fucktards only go big so... capital it is."

I slapped together a defense force of my heir as general since he just came of age, two silver rank armor Katana samurai, one unit of silver armor Naginata samurai, a unit of onno bushi and about... four yari ashigaru units and three bow ashigaru.

The ashigaru and onno bushi was only due to the castle being a mad high fucking level.

And so they landed and assaulted. My heir gave an epic speech, saying that if he failed today he would haunt the place for 5,000 years... meaning he is fucking dedicated to this shit.

They deployed with the majority of their troops to the south and a smaller flanking force to the east.

I sent the naginata samurai and the three bow units to hold off the eastern flank, the rest readied on the walls for the onslaught.

I sent my general over to the eastern side to inspire the naginata samurai before heading back to the main force.

The naginata and bow had no real problem taking care of the eastern flank, as those enemies were tired, had to climb up a wall and were funneled into one area.

The main battle then began as the bows joined in to give support. I let the yari samurai climb all the way up the walls before charging in my katana samurai units, who were able to get almost one-hundred kills on the charge.

The yari ashigaru formed their spear walls and then moved in to hold against extra units and to ensure not one enemy escaped.

As that battle continued I moved my naginata unit outside the walls and flanked their general, who fell quickly to the naginatas.

As my troops tired and lost their numbers I used my general's rally and the Onno Bushi's second wind to fully restore their stamina.

My naginatas flanked and what followed was a chain route.

All of the Shimazu army routed one by one and my units reaped in kills and experience. My general also joined in.

It was a heroic victory by Shogun's standards, which added to my clan's honor and leveled up my heir instantly.

...That was a tense battle...

3507567 I was playing as the Aztecs in EU4 when I saw a pirate ship near my waters. Please note that this took place in the 1480s, years before Columbus discovered the new world.

I sent my navy ship after them but the European Pirates kick their ass. I know the Aztecs had less modern technology but come on, it's a military vessel. Can't they at least handle a bunch of ragtag pirates?

After the battle, they did nothing and just sat there forever.

3507758 annoying Pirates.

Wait, that was my ship that got rid of yours. :rainbowlaugh:

Playing as the Hojo

Well, there's your first problem. :trollestia:

3507774 actually, they have real great artillery.

3507786 Old Guard are easy to beat.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Yeah... they... they certainly aren't the best clan. I forgot about that one and just did an Otomo campgain.

Missionaries are the shit. So many revolts were incited...

Not really... they fucking take FOREVER to get. The mahgonels are the fucking definition of useless as seige weapons... which is what they're classified as. Why are they useless? Because their range doesn't even reach castle walls...

The only good fucking artillery takes forever to get, and are way too goddamn cumbersome to be cost-effective.

Fuck, I think I would rather have ashigaru spam... at least they can fucking fight another unit head-on...

3507800 sometimes, waiting can be the best. In FotS, it took me and my friend forever to even get our economy up and running so I could build me an army for battle. Despite taking forever, the wait was worth it. The Island never stood a chance.

3507808 Try online battles as well. Ottoman vs. France. They guy apparently left, since it gave me an achievement. I did not have elite troops, but we fought off an elite French army. I lost part of my army doing that.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

sometimes, waiting can be the best.

Not in Shogun 2 where the fucking AI blitzes everyone and gets massive heavily experienced Ashigaru stacks... Fucking every campaign boils down to my samurai armies having to wipe out thousands of ashigaru...

I would rather have a stack of Ashigaru over a couple units of shitty artillery.

And FOTS is not a game for wanting to wait... even for modernization. Why bother waiting for the uber foreign line infantry when you could recruit your own, balance them out with samurai for support and go fucking ass-kicking?

The only strategy games that encourage LONG ass periods of waiting are the ones by Paradox... and their war system if majorly fucked up... at least, in EU IV.

Fucking Denmark... what a bunch of assholes...

3507829 I did have more men, but by all counts, weaker units.

3507827 The reason I waited, was because, he had the samurai. And we could afford to wait, since we were playing as the Satsuma. We were on the far island, so waiting did good for us. Allowed us to build our armies and go in for the kill.

3507859 At least we didn't chose the ones that got gold by raiding cities. We prefer to stay away from most fighting and then go in. I gave him full Samurai command, and he went and worked on capturing another area. I just needed time to build. His men would also form the spearhead when we would've invaded the mainland. He fought with them, while I lead the modern army. We found ways to work together, even though using two mice was hard. We did lose some battles. camping AI :flutterrage:

3507861 I had two cav. and 2 art. he had one and was outranged by mine. I did kill his general *cough*Napoleon*cough*. I also had some melee units.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

You lost to camping AI? Do you not know how to lure them out and kite with cav? I mean, that's how you beat the camping AI since they're too stupid to realize that all they have to do is sit there...

I mean, bow cavalry... fucking best unit in the game for those situations.

3507885 I was the one attacking them. I didn't really pay attention to the terrain, and paid for it. Stupid wooden cannons. I had none at all. I learned my lesson after that.

Also, if it makes you feel better, the other Imperial factions were wiped out by the Shogun.

3507800 I usually play Oda... not sure what that means in the community, but I have fun with it. Quite the Challenge.

3507897 I had the tools, but not the experience that most have. I lost one battery to his cav. and most of my right flank was killed. The left had to hurry and help. That was when the battle turned.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

>Oda
>best ashigaru in the game
>stars near Kyoto
>enemies are weak
>has good income
>almost all nearby provinces supply good resources
>campaign is marked as hard

HAH

hmmm... suppose I'm just not to good at Shogun then.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Well... the game is pretty damn easy if you play your cards right, even on legendary difficulty.

If you want to get better, I reccomend you go onto Youtube and watch some of this guy's Shogun 2 campaigns.

He only plays on Legendary and has never lost a campaign...

I learned everything I know from watching him.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Pretty much, I remember I practically beat an entire enemy army by sitting in trees with matchlocks...

It was long and very fucking tedious...

3507933 I've gotten better. I win some and I lose some. Medieval 2, 1 fight, 1 win. Rome 1, I've gotten beat a lot, but I sometimes win.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Well, give them enought time to take over Kyushu... they'll be a pretty big damn problem...

And yeah, they're pretty OP. That's why they start out a war with two stronger factions on their borders.

3507968 no, the highest I have is Napoleon. My friend had Shogun 2, which we were playing on his computer. My laptop can't go that high. I have Shogun 1-Napoleon Total War.

3508023 GameSpy I believe shut down, so only Empire and Napoleon would work for me. However, if you went against me in Empire, you better watch out, cause I sometimes bring an ally into the fight, and we show no mercy. I also fight alongside him in Rome 1. He calls me the Red Menace in that game.

3508042 try fighting an army of Iroquois and an army of Cherokee (warpath). We've pulled off victories against armies of guards and marines before. Spam armies.

3508068 We've fought armies of elite troops. Do you really think we can't beat a rush army?

3508745 Just have to know what to use. Rush armies can also be a downfall.

3508999 first 3v3 me and two friends did on Empire. We were playing as the Native factions, and if it wasn't for the Maratha arriving, I would've beaten the US forces. Sweden got controlled by the AI, and my friends had some trouble against the Maratha. They had some tough warriors. And it wasn't Gurkas. Annoying Skith Warriors.

3509018 We lost, but we learned not to fight the Maratha like that anymore. They were annoying.

3507772 Good thing they didn't dock. Otherwise, they'd pillage a town or two.

3509146 Austria's numbers were no match for my Prussian armies.

3509174 :eeyup:

3509357 sorry, but my Prussian armies crush all that oppose us. Light or Heavy infantry are cut down.

I was playing Wargame: Airland Battle
It was a conquest match on the 10v10 map Ragnarok.
I was hauling ass to form a new defensive line after the PACT had launched a large tank assault and blown through my defenses.
In my haste I had forgotten about a few squads of Milan ATGM infantry which were hiding out in a forest flanking the town I had been covering.
I figured they were dead but to my surprise and utter shock they killed 13 enemy tanks before they went down and bought time for my ally to launch several airstrikes.
You guys may not know this but to get 4 or 5 kills is pretty damn good for infantry ATGM but to kill 13 is almost unheard of unless they are elite level and they have a hell of a good spot.
In the end we won the game and I always use Milan ATGM infantry in my NATO decks now.

3509503 Sorry to say, but Prussia's armies are better. We have better troops, better skirmishers, very good horsemen, and we have superior line infantry that will make quick work of the Austrian Armies. Not even my friend's Maratha army stood a chance.

3509531 Auto resolve just show's you are too chicken to fight it out. :eeyup:

3509689 Even I fight battles that would seem pointless, because I want my men to gain experience and completely wipe the enemy in front of me, not just watch my general stab the other one. I want my men to fight and gain experience. Battles against Austria that I should lose, I won. Heck, even in Episode 4 of the American Campaign, I had Minutemen attacking Guards of the British Army. The British troops should've won when I invaded their homeland, but with only one army, I beat them.

3509881 For me, fun all the time, but in Rome 1, I want to fight major battles with full stack enemy armies, but I'll fight the smaller ones to guarantee few loses, while wiping out my enemy.

I wonder that as well, of course, when I play as France, I try to get the United Provinces first.

3510010 Guess what my first major target as France is.

3510032 Big time. I build up a large army and move in. Hit them while the British Navy is away. I just wait it out, but once I did just attack. Beat them all the time. They can't go for Paris, because I'm taking London, and while that is going on, my forces in America are going after the Natives. When I can, I also take over the Dutch territories in the New World, and India. Three fronts, allows me new troops, and good experience.

3510108 Everywhere at once. I divide up my money, but when I attack, I hit hard. If I'm fighting Britain, I go for their homeland to get rid of them, allowing me to wipe out any rebels in America. Spain, I keep as an ally. While a lot of money goes to Europe, I also have men in America going around taking ground.

3510149 No. That's the Dutch and Portugal.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 85