Fantasy 74 members · 49 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

So I suppose this group should get a proper kick off in the form of a discussion.

I've always personally loved Fantasy as a genre, starting when I was about 12-13 or so. Reading Forgotten Realms books, LOTR as well as plenty of science fiction. Game of Thrones ended up on my favorite list a few years ago.

To kick off the discussion about what I think makes Fantasy so awesome, I pick the construction of a world. Unlike a lot of stories, fantasy often forces an author to become as creative as they possibly can. Of course, most contemporary fantasy is cribbing off the work of Tolkien but it is the adaptation of the genre that makes it interesting.

I think anyone aspiring to write their own fantasy story needs to have a firm understanding of world building, and the necessary logic to make it work. It's not enough to say 'look, elves'. You usually have to give them a society or a culture beyond what we know as people. Otherwise they're just humans with pointy ears.

The other thing I'm immensely fond of is theme. You don't often get a chance to use a 'epic' theme outside of fantasy topics. Not only an epic scope, with massive armies or powerful wizards, but the storyline itself is epic.

You may have noticed it in your series of choice. The Wheel of Time has a 'constant' theme, largely concerning fate. The endless, epic struggle between The Dragon and The Dark One. A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) has an upward theme. Magic has faded, but is now coming back. Lord of the Rings has a downward theme. Everything in decay, what was once great has been lost and will never come back.

It's tough to find a 'theme' in MLP, though I think there are a few. Some of the episodes can be surprisingly dark, and is most definitely locked within the realm of high fantasy. I'd probably give MLP a 'upward' theme, like Game of Thrones, with the idea of the Elements of Harmony returning. Largely things are positive, and increasing rather than fading.

Regardless of which way you go, these sort of topics are all immensely awesome in my book.

Hopefully you all have some insight into what you particularly enjoy about fantasy. I'd love to hear them!

RavenGuardian17
Group Admin

3088960 I love the creativity of the worlds people create. Whenever I pick up a new fantasy book I look in the front to see if it has a map of the fictional world it is set in. And if it does, I look at that for more time then I spent reading the book. I also love creating my own worlds. Everything can work the way I want it to and I don't have to abide y anyone's rules (although I do take a lot of inspiration from others :derpytongue2:) As someone who loves history, it can also be interesting to see how the fictional world compares to ours and maybe see where the author took inspiration from. For example: In the Ranger Apprentice series EVERY fictional nation is based of a real medieval one. And the name choices for these nations are sometimes taken from the culture they were based off.

3088960 I have something of a problem keeping Fantacy and Sci-Fi in their respective corners, and mix or have them change places in an ever new pattersn
I think I'm more for the upbeat upwards themses, even if I can make them to a 'Yiun and Yang' too.

I personally rather like the downward theme. Just because of the tragedy of it.

The best way to see it play out is in the conflict of good vs. evil. In downward themes the good guys fight, and even when (or if) they win they lose a part of themselves in the process.

To use LOTR again. At the very end of The Return of the King, there is the Scouring of the Shire in the book. The Shire is permanently changed because of its temporary occupation of Saruman. No longer entirely idyllic and peaceful, the Hobbits were forced to become involved. Some of that tranquil beauty was thus lost forever. Which really drives the whole story home, I think. But Tolkien never said the fight wasn't worth having.

3088994 I guess it would be great, if more stories came with the map you mentioned.

I love finding inspiration from what ever I can, when writing a story.
Only have a few you consider looking for a 'World Map', though.
3089037 you can have even Epic tragedy, even if the theme is upbeat.
Just that I guess most avoid it on purpose.

If opposed, the conflict is not to be avoided.
what's the point of you life, if you avoid that conflict in the first place?

Maybe I'm just not a follower of conflict, even though I can see the point, from time to time.
film and fiction seems to push it into clishe.

I love Fantasy. My first fantasy book series was the Chronicles of Narnia, a series that holds childhood nostalgia and heartwarming moments for me. It was the start of a journey through various Fantasy stories, in books, films and even games. Some of the most beautiful modern music I've heard originate from Jeremy Soule's soundtracks, my favorite song from him being "Fear not this Night" from Guild Wars 2. I also love the Lord of the Rings, Avatar: the last Airbender, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale, Discworld, Song of Ice and Fire the list goes on.

MLP was the last thing I expected to like, but amazingly I found I like that too now, due in part I suppose for its familiarity of some Disney and Fantasy stories I love.

I'm currently writing a Fantasy crossover story called 'The Legend of Spyro: rebirth' which aims to take a more original take on one of my childhood characters and put him into a full blown tale of adventure, war, hope, sorrow, love and eventual triumph. It's only a couple of Chapters yet, but hopefully I can make something of it and add something worthwhile to the Brony Library.

3088960 Well, my story should fit in then.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7