Gun Club 758 members · 351 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

With so many manufacturers releasing their own version of the platform over the last 15 years, there's a truly dizzying array to choose from. I'm always in the market for a good AR-15, especially something that's milspec, but I don't have a clue what's good and what's junk. And what models can be good and dependable while still costing less then $1K?

Depending on what you want it to do, you can easily build one for under 1k. So my question is, what is it's primary role? Is it a defensive/fighting gun, a competition piece, or just for fun at the range?

Defense/fighting is always the first order of business, so reliability is very important.

I don't trust my own skills at building one, so I have to go with something ready-made by a company.

I agree with that. An AR due to how it works is inherently reliable. Most would say "it's the right tolerances" but that's not true. It's because it's a sealed system. I can go on all day about that. Building them is annoyingly simple. It's a flipping Lego set. But if you'd rather buy, then you have 3 decent options. Bear Creek, Palmetto State Armory, and Del-ton.

Others would add Ruger or Springfield Armory, but those run about $8+ each, leaving little room for accessories. The only issues with BCA I see is they don't locktite their screws, and they don't use lined barrels. The upper I have is a del-ton, mid length cost me $300. Hasn't failed me yet. Dunked it in water, dirt, mud, snow and ice and she keeps on chugging.(but I also built almost every gun I own. Only 2 that I didn't make are my 1911 and my Mossberg 500)

So the Smith & Wesson brand ARs aren't any good?

Cost is still a factor. Are they any good? Sure. But even the basic M&P Sport II costs $812 MSRP. Again, leaving very little room for accessories in the 1k budget.

If it were me, I'd go with this, leaving $550ish for a red dot, back up irons, and maybe a grip and a few mags. Add in some ammo if there's money left over.

Well it's not so much that I'm on a strict budget of $1K. I just don't want to spend over that much if a good, reliable model can be had for less than that. I know you get what you pay for, but that doesn't always mean the higher price automatically means it's better.

Exactly. If that's the case, I'm a bit biased towards Springfield(looking again, their basic Saint rifle runs over 1k), but I've also had good service from PSA when buying AK parts. Fast delivery and good quality. I'd keep my eyes in there personally.

Palmetto State Armory, Anderson Manufacturing, BCM, Sig Sauer M400, Del-Ton, M&P Sport, CMMG, Ruger, to name a few.

I run an older Sig M400 and it has been great.

My biggest recommendation would be watch youtube reviews. Tactical Toolbox, Military Arms Channel, and Honest Outlaw are a couple of great reviewers to start with. Really, just about any common and recognized name out there that makes an AR-15 will do the job.

Bravo Company Manufacturing is good. And you can buy it piecemeal, so you can buy as your budget allows.

Sorry to say you can't find a good quality AR-15 (I don't think much of s&w) for under 1k that you could buy all in one.

Armalite isn't around anymore?

Most everything they make is over $1K, with some of them $2K or more.

Spending even $1K on a gun of any kind makes me very uncomfortable. That's a lot of money for me. The fact so many AKs cost $1K or more these days is absolutely disgusting, when just a few years ago the higher quality ones could be had for around $700.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13