Anime Lovers 66 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I was wondering if I could receive some suggestions on anime to watch. I'm still very new to anime, and I would like to become familiar with it, but I'm not sure where to start.
I haven't watched very much yet, but I will give some background of my watching of anime so what I do like can become apparent.
When I was younger, my brothers always made me watch Miyazaki movies, and I liked them, but I was too busy trying to beat that last level in Halo, or something stupid like that, to become invested. Before I knew it, all of my anime interested brothers were in collage, and I was alone.
Last summer, one of the older ones ran into a money problem, and had to move in. A month or two ago, despite my attempts against it, he forced me to the downstairs television and made me watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Although I was skeptical at first, I became very interested, and then I realized I just spent about a week of my Christmas vacation doing nothing but watching it. He didn't bother me to watch another one until about a week ago, when he showed me The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I pretty much just went and watched the entire thing on my own after he showed me the first four or five episodes.
Recently, I found out that my source of these Japanese cartoons would be going to the air force, so I am left wanting more, but not knowing where to go to meet my demands.
I was browsing fimfiction the other day, looking for something to pass my time, when I saw this group, and decided I would come here for help. So that's pretty much it. If you have any suggestions on anime that are similar to what I watched, or are just good for beginners, then please list them below.

You have experience with two great Seinen series! :twilightsmile:
I would say that a good one to try next would be Angel Beats, but prepare for some major feels. :twilightsmile:
Also, Hatakaru Maou-Sama is great, I think you're going to enjoy it to the fullest. Both are short, and you can devour them in a week or so. :raritywink:

Nosnibormada
Group Admin

I'd say Cowboy Bebop is a good place to start, because not only is it fantastic but it's also very accessible from a western perspective. If you want some comedy then go for Nichijou and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, but if you want some really engaging drama then go for Clannad and Madoka Magika. As for some films, go for 5 Centimeters per Second, Wolf Children, and everything ever made by Studio Ghibli.

There's a lot more I could recommend, but they should be enough for a while. Have fun!

(Also, good thing that you saw this group when you did. It's only just been created!)

2THAC
Group Admin

A bit late but I hope you'll let me throw in my two cents.

My first suggestion would be FLCL...it won't make a lick of sense but the animation is great and despite being hard to understand the story is fairly engaging. To top it off it's only six episodes so you can finish it one sitting.

Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt is also really good. Perfect soundtrack, amazing animation and style, good comedy and a good story (which isn't really even relevant until the last few episodes).

Toradora if you're in the mood for a romance...I've been revisiting this series lately and I'd probably say it's my favorite anime love story. (aside from Kaiba, which I'd also recommend but not so much for a beginner)

I'm gonna vouch for Nos when he suggested Nichijou...it's probably the BEST series of Slice of Life/Comedy.

And to top it off I'd say Ghost in the Shell (start with Stand Alone Complex)...not really sure but I've already met several people who's first anime was GiTs and they all loved it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4