A Changeling's Life 640 members · 1,203 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I'll get this out now: I love the changelings. but I feel so sad for them.

To me they represent the simpler things in life, they live how they have to not how they want to. In my mind the changelings are technically forced to inflict physical or mental pain upon another just to survive. It is shown in the comics that they are not that different from ponies; they have society, art-forms and the same sentience held by their equine prey. This means they probably feel emotions the same way ponies do. What sort of a fate is that? To be born and exist only for suffering? It really is kind of saddening to think about, and it puts what is shown in MLP: FiM into perspective. How the ponies live their mostly care free lives wondering about innocent things such as;

"I wonder if my wife cooked me apple pie, Tonight?"
Or...
"I cant wait to see my friends today!"
Or...
"I love the birds, their songs are so beautiful!"

But the changelings are reserved to thoughts like;

"What if our home is ransacked by angry ponies and my queen can't find a new place to live?"
Or...
"What if I can't gather enough food to feed my family this week?"
Or...
"What if I have to kill a pony to preserve my secrecy?"

It makes me feel guilty knowing that the changelings might on the brink of starvation and no-one may ever know. After the invasion not a single pony made any attempt to understand why they were invaded. To them they were threatened by another race, who's queen even stated aloud to them that her kind fed on love and that she needed to be able to feed her people. But still they didn't even try to reason with them.

You could say that the changelings might have been able to to try and simply ask for help. However the fact that changelings rely on remaining unknown to survive means they might have existed for thousands of years believing that if they were to reveal themselves, a being that feeds of the very thing ponies treasure like nothing else, they would be neglected or destroyed because they were recognised as a threat. So maybe Chrysalis saw this, and that if they truly were on the brink of starvation, then she will have narrowed down occupation of Equestria the best way to stop her civilisation from slowly dying. After all, her subjects are her responsibility.

When it comes down to it, the changelings are victims of a cruel evolutionary process that has forced them to have to hurt to live. Really, I wonder if Equestria will ever know the bane of this unlucky race. I hope they do, I don't like seeing them portrayed as mindless monsters who don't care about who or what they damage. And I hope it comes soon.

What are your thoughts, my friends?

I found a story which got my feels like no story has done to me in a while. It prompted this blog.
Mirrors In Shadows

3851911 It's like humans and meat. We have to kill to get enough protein to live healthy lives. It's a bane, but there's more to us then just victim killers. I think it's the same with changelings. Each one of them is like an alicorn. That's awesome. In my stories, changelings represent superior race. A future of Equestria. It is the ponies that are a dying breed, and they don't even know it.

It's not exactly the same. Ponies are sentient, and although animals have some form of decent intelligence they do not have sentience. Its in the same way that killing a cow is different from killing another human being.

qamar-ling
Group Admin

I don't know what to say. I do agree with you on all accounts but I am having a hard time coming up with something to say so I am not going to say anything. you will get my like though.

Many changelings probably think of themselves as a Master Race, superior to other intelligent beings, because of their ability to change their shape and being able to survive on love.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6