The European Brony League 122 members · 619 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

So, I was wondering if you guys can help me. You see, I’m writing a story, and the first scene is of a pony running through a dense forest very near the coast. With this description what kind of trees would be in the forest?

She ran through the thick brush, past the thick trunks of tall *incert tree here* trees, over fallen logs and thick branches. Yet, for all her efforts, she could still here them, the sounds of the horses hooves and the shouts of those who rode atop them. She skitted to a stop once she saw the edge of a jagged cliff, and the churning ocean waves and sharp rocks below.

What kind of trees in Europe would be in a location like that?

PS, since I don’t live in Europe, and possibly have never seen the type of tree you might be mentioning, is it possible you can describe the tree so that I can get an idea of what it looks like.

Hi. I think I'm your pony here :b
Studied forestry in Germany. So coastal cliff and rocky ground or going from normal soil to thin soil on rocks? 'Cause that's a nice transition, what with the light getting brighter because trees change towards the cliff edge.
Climate: how far north or south are we talking? Then I can give you a selection. :twilightsmile:

It would go from normal to thin on rocks, and it would be as far south as you can get in king Arthor’s kingdom as you can get in what is now Brittan.

According to a friend of mine, Ashen oak is the most common.

Cypress? Common in southern Europe and grows on rocky places fine. Not to mention that it`s a group name for a class of trees, not any specific breed in particular.

Oh, my bad, I ment coastal cliff with rocky ground. Just ignore the first part of my previous comment.

Poland has a lot of waterside coniferous forests (not cypress but spruce type of deal). Depending on what country/climate of Europe you're in, but anywhere high/cliffside/waterside it's very often coniferous trees. Broadleaves and such usually grow deeper inland, regardless of the region.

I’m mainly looking at brittan, but thank you.

Oak is a good bet, often with a thicket of hazel, hornbeam and white elm underneath because an Oak canopy let's in a fair amount of light. Take your pick. Towards the cliff on thin soil, it would turn to scattered, fairly low downy oak, birch, rowan and the occasional willow. Then at the cliff edge heather and on sandstone blueberries.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9