Blunt Reviews Group 467 members · 170 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Title: Talking to the Moon
Author: DigitalChaos
Tags: Sad, Slice of Life
Characters: Applejack, Big Mac (not really Big Mac)
Chapters: 1
Words: 1,073

I swear I'm not picking sadfics on purpose. They just happen to be short most of the time and I want to start with short stuff. Anyway, this is yet another attempt to explore AJ's parents, who died of that mysterious offscreen illness. So I could already feel this fic crying out "feel sad for me-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e".

Anyway, it does work to get us invested in what happened to AJ's dad (I guess mom can wait). It doesn't just talk about how tragic it is that he isn't around, but shows us what it was like when he was around. Unfortunately, only one scene is used to do this. Rather than show us more flashbacks to AJ's childhood, she just talks about the latest happenings in Ponyville. I don't understand the rush. You only just passed the 1,000 word minimum. Even though it was going the right direction, it didn't go far enough for me to actually care.

A couple other things of merit in this fic is that it touches on the fact that Granny Smith will be gone "soon" as far as AJ can tell. She openly admits her nervousness and that she doesn't feel ready to deal with that and running the farm without her. Also, Applejack's hat apparently belonged to her father. That just made me want to go:

DA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-AW!

But that doesn't change the fact that the fanfic needed to spend more time making the reader care about this guy and miss him along with Applejack. And what's up with her not talking to her mother? So yeah, that's it. Short fics make short reviews.
2 out of 5

Just kinda wanted to see what a story I wrote in around 10 minutes would get xD

It was for Father's Day is why mom was never mentioned, but I understand what you meant.

So, nothing I didn't expect. For how little attention I paid to this fic, I feel cool.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3