Amateur Artists Unite! 417 members · 81 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I'm really curious. When creating/looking at MLP art, are there any particular styles that are your favourite? Do you draw in the style of the show or movie, or have you adapted it, or do you disregard it completely?

These images aren't mine, but oh boy, I wish I was anywhere near that good!
I tend to stick to show style and do a lot of base edits, since that's what I'm best at drawing and I'm still pretty new to digital art. The same goes for EqG characters, but I keep telling myself that I'm going to learn how to draw anime/manga characters. That'll probably end up being my New Year's resolution.

I'd recommend branching out a bit and trying various styles to see what works for you. You can try modifying/adding on to bases (adjusting the head shape, altering body proportions, etc.) to get a feel for what you like, or even just editing screencaps from the show to figure out a coloring or lineart style.

When I'm drawing something that already has an official style, I try to stay as close as I can to it. I don't really have an art style, so I want to pay homage by staying true with the source material.

I do love both of those drawings and wish that I could match up to them, but my autism keeps telling me that it wouldn't connect with anyone unless I stay as accurate as possible to the source material.

Thanks for the tips, both of you. I'm nowhere near as good as the artists who drew the pictures above, but it's an ambition, along with mastering the art of drawing anime characters.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4