Amateur Artists Unite! 417 members · 81 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

In a discussion in another thread about the different programs available I thought it might be useful to talk about theme here for anyone new to digital art or just looking for a better alternative to what they're using.

Microsoft Paint
Pros
-Free
-Installed by default on Microsoft Operating Systems.
Cons
No support for layers
No tablet pressure sensitivity support
Very limited features
Only use this if it's your only option

Photoshop
Pros
-Lots of Features
-Widely used so lots of resources and tutorials
-Available in packages with other Adobe products
-Available via Creative Cloud, in other words you can subscribe to it and get updates whenever they are released, when you cancel the subscription you just won't get the updates.
Cons
-Rather resource intensive (older computers may have problems running it.)
-Not Free, though it is cheaper if you can get student pricing.
-Lots of features you probably won't ever use, which just makes it cluttered.
-Though there are tools for drawing and it is widely used for that it is primarily for photo editing (hence the name) added by Seventh Pony
Probably the most widely used tool by professionals. If you are serious about your art its probably a good idea to at least check it out.

GIMP
Pros
-Many of the features of Photoshop.
-Completely free.
Cons
-Different names for equivalent Photoshop tools
-Not as widely used as Photoshop so less support and tutorials available for it.
-Can be a bit buggy
-Not very user friendly
-like Photoshop its primary purpose is for photo editing.
Not the greatest program, but it is a good free alternative, this was the first real art program I used so it is fairly easy to learn even with no prior experience

Inkscape/Ponyscape
Pros
-Free Download
-Great for creating Vectors (infinitely scalable pictures)
-Just as easy to use without a tablet.
-Ponyscape has even more features (some of which are available as plugins for Inkscape) such as Power Strokes, which allow you to create tapered strokes easily, and preinstalled swatches for several ponies.
-Automatically saves on crash
Cons
-Can be a bit glitchy/prone to crashes
-Whilst it is possible its not really designed for free drawing
-Can be difficult to learn how to use properly.
If you want to do vectors or don't have access to a tablet this is a great choice

Paint Tool SAI
Pros
-Exceptionally good for linework
-Not an overwhelming amount of options.
-Many of the features of Photoshop
-Stabilizer option which allows you to get smoother and/or more tapered lines.
-Lots of customization for brushes and easy to find options for brushes online without needing to download anything.
-Can save and use photoshop documents.
-Pretty low system requirements so most computers should be able to run it.
Cons
-Can save as a PNG but it will not save with a transparent background (can easily be fixed if you save it as a photoshop document and save it as a PNG in photoshop)
-Some text has not been translated to English properly.
-Isn't free
-Doesn't have a tool for text.
This is a really great program, particularly for linework, and my primary program. Its also used quite a lot particularly by fan artists.

Manga Studio aka Clip Studio Paint
Pros
-Lots of manga panels available for manga or comic creation (as well as several other preinstalled effects available)
-Can save several pages in one story
-Lots of Page Dimension presets based on actual page dimensions (eg A4, A3 etc)
-Customizable tools based on real life Japanese inking tools.
-Manga Studio 5 Allows you to import 3D models (with some preinstalled)
-Easily Change lineart layer colour
-Guide lines available for Perspective Drawing etc.
-Does have a feature similar to SAI's stabilizer though it doesn't work as well.
Cons
-Fairly expensive particularly if you aren't using it for manga creation
-Not great for colouring
-Takes up 5GB of space added by Seventh Pony
This is rather expensive (currently more expensive than Photoshop's subscription plan) and takes up a lot of space, it does have a lot of features but if you aren't using it to create a manga then most of those features will go to waste.

Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
Pros
-Lots of tools based on real life tools (making it easy to transfer between digital and traditional)
-Includes colour presets based on some of those real tools (eg Copic Markers)
-Does get bundled with other things such as Wacom Tablets
Cons
-Not a lot of features (its more or less just the ability to draw and colour and have different layers)
-Not Free (although as stated above it is bundled for free and it is fairly cheap)
-Risk of crash requiring complete reinstall of software. added by keam
I've only had a little bit of experience with Sketchbook but from my experience it was just a very basic drawing platform, with the bare minimums (though still much better than MS Paint)

SketchBook Express for iPad and Android added by keam and Seventh Pony
Pros
- Free
- Several brushes and pens
- There is a button for uploading to DeviantArt directly from the app
- you can transfer and share your creations
Cons
- only 3 layers
- If you add a photo, it count as a layer
- It will constantly keep asking every time you open the app if you want to buy pro
- Sometimes it can shut down unexpectedly, and you'll need to open up it again, though if you where doing something it is saved
- Sometimes photo transfer doesn't work
- It is tricky to find where to add description when uploading to DeviantArt
- You can't choose to add watermark when uploading to DeviantArt

Procreate for iPad and iPhone added by Midnight Radio Hotline
Pros
-the most complete drawing program on iOS, even beating out Adobe's iOS programs with features
-fully customizable brushes and tools
-fairly easy to learn
-stylish interface with touch controls
-palm recognition (you can place your palm on the screen and not mess up your drawing)
-can record video of your drawing progress
-iPhone and iPad version have airdrop syncing between the two versions.
Cons
-not free
-only on iPad/iPhone
-may be more comfortable with a stylus which is not included by default with iPad/iPhone.

These are just programs I've personally had experience with (unless otherwise stated), if you have others that you think should be included feel free to comment with Pros and Cons and I'll add them to the list, or if you have additional Pros or Cons for programs that are already listed feel free to comment those as well and I'll add them if they are useful.

3981711 You can draw in Ponyscape, but only with the pencil tool. Just an FYI. The line tool is so weird to use a tablet for that I find it is easier to use the mouse.

Personally, I find GIMP much better to use than how you described it.

It's bewildering to use if you don't know the program very well, but once you do, it's extremely easy.

There are tutorials for it, and classes, if you need extra help.

And there are tons of features, all for free!

It can be a little buggy, but all in all, it's an awesome program.

At least, that's my experience with it.:twilightsmile:

Personally, I like using deifferent programs in conjuction with one another. SAI, for instance, is what I use for lineart, while using Photoshop for painting, although SAI alone can easily do all of it. The only problem I find is that SAI isn't extremely user friendly, and takes quite a while getting used to, especially if you're migrating from using another program.

Also, while I do HATE the subscription thing, I still think it'd probably be worth paying for Photoshop CC, if only because of the fact that cracking and/or installing a cracked version of Photoshop can be utterly nightmarish if you don't know much about it.

3981887 True, its still not really designed for drawing in though.
3982223 I agree, like I said it was the first art program I ever really used and I found it to be pretty good, but it isn't as good as some of the other alternatives and some people find it really difficult to use.
3982611 This is a really good point, something I would have put in the OP if there was a way to get it to fit. I know lots of people use Sai for Lineart and then do the rest in Photoshop. Lately while doing character designs I've been doing everything in SAI and then when I need to do something like duplicate or delete entire groups (which SAI can't do) I go into Photoshop to do that and then go back.

I'm trying to learn to do it all in SAI as well, but there are some things I can't get around, mostly the fact that there isn't a tool for making straight lines properly, and the fact that the brush tool is a complete load of wank. I understand that it is for blending and such, but still, I find it probably the most user unfriendly tool in the whole program.

Also, I just wanna put this in here: in the end they're just programs, and if you're able to master one, chances are you're going to end up making just as good stuff as an artist using a different program than you. If you're looking to get into art, check out the programs that interest you, they usually have trial versions, and if you like what you get, either buy it or pirate it, though once you start creating and maybe also selling your creations online, consider buying it and be a good little artist. SAI isn't terribly expensive, and Adobe CC is on a subscription model, so you can get Photoshop relatively cheap. At least cheaper than it was buying it.

Paint Tool SAI aka Clip Studio Paint

WRONG. Clip Studio Paint is the same program as Manga Studio, not SAI. This is a common mistake.
And it's only $50 for the pro version and $150 (or something like that) for the "EX" version. The "EX" version is mostly identical, so I don't know why it costs so much more.
Saving in other formats is hard? It seems to be exactly like saving in literally every other program I've used. Though I agree with the "not great for coloring" bit. It's better for black and white comics.
Another flaw: it takes up nearly 5GB of space.

For people with IPads:
SketchBook Express

Pros
- Free
- Several brushes and pens
- you can adjust the radiance and opacity of the pen/brush you're using
- There is flood fill tool
- You can add photos, for example bases, to paint on.
-You can hide layers
- There is a button for uploading to DA directly from the app
- you can transfer and share your creations
Cons
- only 3 layers
- If you add a photo, it count as a layer
- It will constantly keep asking every time you open the app if you want to buy pro
- Sometimes it can shut down unexpectedly, and you'll need to open up it again, though if you where doing something it is saved
- Sometimes photo transfer doesn't work
- It is tricky to find where to add description when uploading to DA
- You can't choose to add watermark when uploading to DA

Also, I've had experience with Autodesk Sketch Book for IPad (where it is free) and I'd highly advise that you use SketchBook Express (which is a free version of pro) instead, as Autodesk SketchBook can risk to do a complete crash and won't be able to be opened up again, and you won't have any option but re-installing, loosing all work in the app.

If it wasn't clear in my last post, The risk of complete crash which will force you to re-install it and loose all your work as a con with Autodesk SketchBook.

3984920 Both also exist for (and are just as functional on) Android devices as well.

3981711 Another thing that should probably be added to Photoshop's cons list: it's not really designed for drawing. It's designed for editing.

Good to know. I didn't know. Autodesk SketchBook still suck, though.

3984827 Woops, I knew it was one of the two, wasn't quite sure which, I only briefly looked at the Clip Studio Paint website and it looked like SAI to me. I'll correct that.

The price seems to have changed quite a lot since I purchased it, that's actually not too bad, I'll change that to just not Free. (I may end up giving the actual prices for the programs that aren't free at some point)

As far as saving, this is more a problem with versions prior to Manga Studio 5 (which despite owning I haven't used much), I haven't used it for a while but I believe you couldn't save as .PNG. I'll remove that for now until I can check that though.

I'll add the bit about it taking up 5GB.

Thanks for that, I haven't had a lot of experience with Sketchbook so I'll add Sketchbook Express and those Pros and Cons to the list (I didn't add the Pros for features like Hiding Layers which are available in most art programs, instead I add those sorts of things as Cons when they aren't available.).

Good point, I'll add that too.

3981711 3984920 3985114 I draw on an iPad, and the program I use is called Procreate. It's the most complete drawing suite I've found on iPad, and my go-to for pretty much anything.

3987481 If you can give me some more details on the program and its pros and cons, I can add it to the list.

PROS
> 2013 Apple Design Award winner, also an App Store Essential
> on the iPad, so you can take it with you wherever you go
> the most complete drawing program on iOS, even beating out Adobe's iOS programs with features
> fully customizable brushes and tools
> pretty intuitive to use, once you start using it; if you don't, the user guide is also a free download in iBooks
> stylish interface, responsive to touch controls
> has palm recognition, so you can place your hand on the screen without messing up your drawing
> can record video of your drawing process so you can share with others
> has an iPhone version with similar features, and AirDrop syncing between the two versions

CONS
> not free; costs $6 for the iPad version, $3 for the iPhone version
> requires an iPad / iPhone to use
> can crash sometimes, more often on older devices
> may be more comfortable to use with a stylus, which is not included with the iPad / iPhone

I noticed you don't have MyPaint. It's totally free, has infinite canvas, cool brushes, and layer capability. It saves documents automatically into .ora format, but can do .png and others too. You should look at it, I've been drawing with it, and I think it's pretty cool.

3988221 Cool, thanks for that I'll add it tomorrow (I'm sick atm and not really thinking straight.)

3988888 Looks and sounds interesting, I'll try and check it out soon.

My Scketchbook Express works great. While it has limited layers, you are able to merge the layers together. I use it for all of my digital art and works great. Could use a few fix ups, but for something free, it works rather well.

(Sorry if it's rude to necro a pinned thread)

MediBang Paint for Android.

I would judge this program to be good for the aspiring artist looking to improve their skills. It has some medium-power Photoshop-type tools, but artists who go far enough will likely run into a program limitation.

Pros:
Free (Paid version exists, but pros only include free version unless noted)
Infinite Layers.
No mandatory login
Layer Folders
Highly customizable brush kit
Unobtrusive Ads
Tidy Tool Interface (Possible pro/con: non-basic tools aren't in the open overwhelming beginners.)
Customizable toolbar
Autosave
PSD support

Cons:
No vector support
Confusing tutorials/easier to experement

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, the original poster hasn't been on the site in years, anyways, so I doubt they'll object. Means it won't get updated, either, tho'. That's one reason why I sometimes recreate pinned threads by long gone admins in groups I'm an admin in.

I will point out that MediaBang is also for Windows, Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It's based on FireAlpaca, I believe.

This thread doesn't have Affinity Designer listed in it, either...

--Sweetie Belle

https://medibangpaint.com/en/
Here's the one I'm talking about.

In your repost, you might want to clean it up a bit. Ponyscape has been discontinued, and otherwise had its unique features gifted back to Inkscape.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Yep, that's the one. Not sure why I stuck an extra a in the name. And Ponyscape was discontinued, wasn't it? After trying a demo, I ended up with Affinity Designer instead of using Inkscape anyways, because while it's $49.95, I found it a lot easier to wrap my head around.

Of course, trouble is I don't have admin rights here, so if I do a repost, it may not end up getting pinned. Given there's one admin that logged in a week ago, one that logged in a month ago, and the others have been gone for years, I should see if I can get the one most recently on to promote me...

--Sweetie Belle

wow...I haven't been a part of the fandom for years and even when I was barely used fimfic so wasn't expecting an email telling me I had a reply here 😂. I only vaguely remember posting this and know I don't really need to reply but thought I would for nostalgia's sake

I would be happy to update the thread for you guys but as I'm not active here (and also don't do much digital art now that my tablet broke and I'm in a career in dog training rather than art) it probably makes sense for someone else to create a new one so I obviously have no issue with that.

Iirc Ponyscape stopped being supported not long after I posted this, the creator was going to recreate it from scratch but obviously never finished it.

Medibang is reasonable, I never stuck with it just because I found navigating too different from the programs I was used to but seems to have most of the features you could want.

Hope the thread was of use to anyone while it was here.

Glad you could join us. The one thing I wish Medibang would do is let me do an ellipse on an incline, though I haven't tried rotating the canvas for this affect.

One thing that should probably be updated on this list - Autodesk SketchBook is now free. It used to cost money, but it became free to download a year or two ago.
Another free program is Krita. I've heard it's good, but never used it myself, so I can't say for sure.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I've been meaning to just reboot the whole list, and start up a new one based on this one. It's a big project with a lot of programs, though, and I keep not getting to it...

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29