The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Tidal
Group Admin

DON'T WORRY EVERYPONY. I'm back. I apologize for not reviewing the last few days, My job increased my hours and stuff.

This is Tidal! Since I know you guys really missed me I'm back with a Commentary/Review!
(I'll try and keep the spoilers to a minimum, But just in case there are some, here's your warning!) (Side note, since this story is several chapters I will read at least 3 and do my review from there.

The story being reviewed today is called Afterlife and its written by tut895

Let's be seated.

After a flying accident, Rainbow Dash dies, and once she gets a taste of the afterlife, she becomes rather happy she died. But her mournful friends want to bring her back to life. Will rainbow dash be able to fly freely forever or will she have to take on the annoying roles of everyday life-before-death again.

So here is the Description for this bad boy. Rainbow Dash dies (Like she does in most fics) (jk) But for once is ok with it! I'm already like :rainbowhuh: so before I even start the author already has my curiosity...

Chapter one: Day of reckoning.

(I couldn't resist I'm sorry)

I race to my training spot above the trees of the Everfree, the wind whipping my mane and sending it flying about. Today was the day I could finally get to practice the ultimate move; the spectral rainboom, which happens only when I go faster than the speed of light.

First few sentences of this story already have me all excited. A spectral rainboom?! as if this s*** wasn't already awesome!

The gauntlet is my usual training area, complete with cloud obstacle maze, wind blowers for extreme weather training, and even self detonating thunder clouds. Yea, an awesome pony like me needs some awesome equipment to become even better than I am now, Which still isn't an easy feat.

I like how the author makes it seem like RD is talking to me. Pretty interesting way to write :twilightsmile:

I pull of a double Rainboom. This creates a burst of wind that would usually leave a crater, but since Ponyville is so far away from the Everfree the worst they'll get is dropped ice cream cones and spilled drinks.

Spilled drinks is no laughing matter Dashie. I paid like 11 bits for my drink. :ajbemused:

I dodge it by simply gliding to the left and the bolt hits the lightning rod I have set up on the ground, just one way my training can help ponies. The rod has a wire that leads to Fluttershy's house and when lightning hits the rod, it gives her some electricity.

yay :yay:

I reach one of the trees surrounding the opening in the Everfree, and it takes one of my wings clean off, leaving nothing but a searing pain and blood spewing everywhere.

Holy s*** it got serious real f******* quick :rainbowderp:

I look down to see what's going on and see my body. I gulp as I realize what's going on. I'm dead, I'm dead and have become a ghost.

When there's something strange... in your neighborhood... who you gonna call? TWIST. THATS WHO :twistnerd:

This is where chapter one ends, Chapter 2 awaaaaaaaaay!

I flex my stomach and I descend. Perfect, a constant ab workout just to stay grounded.

So many workout jokes came to my mind I couldn't pick one I liked the most.

I flex my stomach more to go down to the ground, until I start to be sucked back into my body. The feeling is similar to being sucked into a vacuum.

Jesus this is getting interesting.

I lay down and cry, thinking of all the ponies I'll be letting down. Scootaloo will have to move out of my house and become homeless again, the rest of my friends will have to find a new element of loyalty, and Soarin will have the most trouble moving on, we had been dating for three years now, and Spitfire was telling me about how he was almost ready to propose.

And here it is. You sick bastard. Giving me feels and s***. :fluttercry:

In order to calm myself down again, I remember the day I adopted Scootaloo. She was so happy, practically jumping on my head to hear that I would take care of her.

Stop it! damnit its getting hard to read with this mist in my eyes!

I'm gonna end my chapter 2 commentary here. Some very interesting information was revealed at the end of this chapter and I don't want to spoil it!

Chapter 3.

I reach Fluttershy's door and walk up to it, hoping I can phase through it, but of course being a ghost isn't that easy and I bump right into the wall.

FAIIIIIIIIL SAUCE :rainbowlaugh:

"Perfect, more ab workouts, probably gonna be ripped by the time I cope with this weird body." I mutter as I brace myself against the door. I flex my stomach, yet again, and with a grunt, I phase through the door into Fluttershy's cottage.

I can't believe THIS is what Rainbow is thinking about. Its insanity I tell you! See what I did there? Insan... cause she's... ab workou.... Nevermind :facehoof:

I walk up to her and lay my hoof on her back, she jumps up and screams extremely loudly, If I were alive I could almost guarantee my ears would be ringing.

Oh Fluttershy... I will never get tired of your spazziness :fluttershyouch:

I glide over to Angel, still shouting at Fluttershy, and stick my hoof right through his chest, and touch his heart, literally, I can feel it twisting as it pumps blood into his veins.

DA FUQ?! :pinkiegasp:

Fluttershy turns and heads back to what she was making, which looks like a salad, probably for Angel, humming a strangely familiar tune as she starts tossing the salad.

Strangely familiar tune is actually a link to something we all know and have learned to tolerate. Well done author well done :trollestia:

maybe I could possess other ponies like Danny phant-colt

Holy crap :rainbowlaugh: I just had to look it up

Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth, tears forming at the corner of her eyes, and descends to the ground. She collapses on the ground, face in her hooves, and sobs uncontrollably, her body heaving up and down as she breathes, it makes me want to cry seeing her so hurt because of what I've done.
I lay next to her and rest my head on the grass, curled up and trying not to cry, I look at her one more time, she's already got grass stuck to her face from her tears wetting her fur. I sigh and start to cry myself.
"How could I have let this happen?" I whisper to myself in between my shallow breaths, "How could I have been so reckless as to take my own life for something as stupid as the Wonderbolts!?" I start shouting.

This whole section here left me with mix emotions. When Fluttershy started crying, I got real sad... then when Rainbow got upset with herself I got mad, and proud at the same time! The Author is really hitting my feels meter so far!

Chapter 3 ends shortly after. I will stop my commentary here and get to the review. If I spoiled a little I'm sorry... I'm pretty sure I didn't :pinkiehappy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now its review time! OOOO boy do I gots some things to say.

FEELS METER
First of all. Yes. Gave me feels, and I've only read the first few chapters. 8 out of 10

MOOD
So the mood of this story definitely changes quickly. It goes from Rainbow being a badass. To holy shit I'm dead. To this is kinda cool! To how could I let this happen :fluttercry:
That's not a bad thing, it just happens lol. I like it. I can tell this story is gonna get more and more sad as I continue reading it, and I can't wait.

The author put great detail into a lot of the things happening around rainbow and I appreciate it. Makes it easier for me to picture the scene in my head. The chapters are pretty short and its easy to follow. I haven't read the whole thing yet but one thing I felt was a little off was just that Rainbow's reaction to her death at first is a little too mellow... If I died and looked at my broken bloody body I'd probably sit there for a long time flipping out... Now since I haven't finished something might change later and then it'll make sense... but that's honestly the only thing I noticed to be off in the first few chapters, so well done author.

GRAMMAR
As I read I noticed very few grammatical errors, so I'd pat your editor on the back, they are doing a good job. But I did notice slight ones like uncapitalized first letters of sentences and missing periods... so 4 out of 5 for grammar!

STYLE
The story is told from the 1st person perspective of Rainbow Dash in the beginning. (In the description it says told from POV of Rainbow/Scootaloo) It's done well the only thing I'll comment on again was how she was like "oh no I'm dead!" then "Whoa! I'm indestructible as a ghost!" which was a little off.. :rainbowhuh: But aside from that you did a good job writing for Rainbow, Flutters and even Angel bunny... the little asshole. lol

I have to praise the author's quick change of direction in the story and how interesting the plot sounds. From what I've read so far she is upset that she's dead but in the description it says that she soon enjoys it? and her friends might be able to bring her back? Things like that make me really want to continue reading! and I will! Liked and Favorited! :pinkiehappy:

Final score for this story at chapter 3 is 9 out of 10! I honestly think YOU MUST READ THIS This story has tons of potential and I can't wait to continue reading! tut895 I will send you a Pm when I'm done so I can personally give you my final thoughts. Keep up the good job!

Recommended for ponies who love the feels, and love Rainbow Dash. So far its really good and I expect it to only get better from here!

This has been a review by Tidal! I'll try and get more reviews out these next couple of days! I know you guys love me :rainbowkiss: lol

Wut? It's this good? Huh

Tidal
Group Admin

2659900 Lol I very much enjoyed it! You're a pretty good writer my friend, don't be so quick to put yourself down! (This is my opinion and maybe everypony wont feel the same, but I enjoyed it. forget the haters :derpytongue2:)

Tidal
Group Admin

2660043 That caught me totally off guard and made me spit water everywhere lol.. Too funny

2660065 You're welcome:twilightsmile:

Tidal
Group Admin

2660073 thanks for liking my review!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7