The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Florina Harshwhinny's life story told through hotel reviews.

Well, this was pleasant.

There isn't much of a story to talk about here. The four chapters that are available are pretty much what the description says they are: four reviews of hotel rooms written by Ms. Harshwhinny much like you would expect to see on Yelp or some other website. Indeed, Ms. Harshwhinny herself references the magazine she is writing for in several of her reviews, and her life of traveling Equestria to scout for the Equestria Games make her something of an authority on hotel stays.

Regardless of this being written in first person, Harshwhinny's voice comes through loud and clear in this story. The observations she makes are as no-nonsense and insightful as you would expect from her appearances in the show, and her wit is clever and acerbic enough to keep her readers engaged, both you in front of the screen and the ponies that will presumably read her words in said magazine.

Even better, her opinions are completely justifiable. She's not the kind of pony to fly off the handle and rage at everything, and her disappointments with her accommodations are spelled out in exacting detail. I started feeling sorry for her for going through all the exasperation she recalls. Can't a mare just lie down and get some sleep after a long hard day of professionalism?

Though I shudder to think what might actually force her to give a one star rating...

For twenty-five pieces of friggin' gold, that coffee better taste like sex on a cloud inside a brand new car overlooking an Albert Bierstadt landscape.
(link)

My biggest problem with the story is that there isn't more for me to read through. Harshwhinny's "life story" hasn't quite been filled out yet beyond little tidbits like she once went to Canterlot, or she once went camping with her friends. I wouldn't exactly expect her to spill her guts out for any random pony that picks up a magazine to read, but for us humans on the interwebz, there's not much to gleam from her current writings other than her humorous criticisms.

Frankly, your enjoyment of this story depends on your opinion of the epistolary novel format. This isn't a common story with a beginning, middle, end, with the accouterments like rising action or a climax. And hey, if you're lurking on our forums here, you've probably browsed a review or two. Maybe even chuckled at a crack one of our reviewers made. This might just be right up your alley.

Me, I found myself laughing along. There's not much to it, but this story is a terribly pleasant way to kill half an hour of your time.

Enjoyable

Muggonny
Group Admin

dawwww :3 I read this story not too long back. It was amazing. Also, I agree with what you said about there not being enough chapters. WHY DO YOU TORTURE US LIKE THIS NORRIS!?!?!?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2