kilala97 Fan Works 1,173 members · 177 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Okay, so I was reading FictionFreek's Path to Parenthood when I got to thinking about lil' Idie and her genetic makeup.

Like, think about it; Claire and T were pretty big surprises as it was what with the half-dragon, half-pony thing going on, but imagine how truly insane it is to have a foal who is quarter-dragon, draconequus, alicorn, and unicorn. Given that Kilala hasn't really explored the Next-next gen subject too much - and with good reason - we don't have much to work with regarding Identity and her bizarre post-childhood behaviour or magic; so not do some group headcanon farming? For those of you who need a quick refresher, here's a shortcut to the stuff Kilala has done regarding Idie. I'll start us with the incredibly obvious one.

Given that both her parents have an extended lifespan, it would probably be safe to assume that she also does.

Aside from Illusion and Amber, Identity is probably one of my favorite characters of Kilala's, and I feel she has potential. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks. :twilightsmile:

Let's just say Claire's gonna have her own sets of complications when the time comes.

5196255 I love idie though I still want to see more of the other next next gen. Like Val and June's foals. Maybe see other characters get canon pairings, I know only a few do but I'm really praying for GoldenxAmber

You know I think what Kilala did with June and Valiant's relationship is kinda funny since she made children and 3 pictures of June pregnant before she made one of her telling Valiant she is. I still anticipate next next Gen stuff. But I still have a hope that kilala makes a third crackship baby pic since Illusion and June only have kids for one pairing. But a bigger hope for me goes to seeing if she makes more gender bent stuff. I just love gender bent things.

Ohh, Power Theorizing! You, sir or madame, have just made my day!

Let's start with what we know: Kilala herself has confirmed that "Idie's powers and abilities are rather similar to her father's. She can float, her body can stretch quite a bit, making her look more like a draconequus, and she can change her form" (Identity Bio). This certainly suggests that at her most basic, Idie’s magic is the same as her father’s, just as Nidra, the only other immortal-mortal pony hybrid, takes her longevity and pony “type” (alicorn) from her immortal parent. Like Nidra, however, a lot of Identity’s appearance and genetics seemed to be shaped by her mortal parent, Claire, and as Nidra’s excellent hearing, nocturnal schedule, and adorable sleeping habits prove, genetics and apperance can dramatically influence a pony’s abilities. Unfortunately, since Claire breathes fire through a magical mechanism, I don’t think Identity will have that ability. However, she has hoof-claws, and Kilala has confirmed that "as (Identity) ages, her pony genes are repressed and and her dragon/draconequus would come out" (Grown-Up Identity). Thus I suspect that Identity will develop draconic resilience and strength, as well as some of her mother's draconic instincts.

That leaves Identity's magic, which as she is a part pony relates to her cutie mark. On the surface, Identity seems a bit like a scaled-down version of her father: both can create illusions and alter the appearances of physical objects. However, unlike her father, Identity "cannot change into anything. She can only mimic the appearance of those she has seen. Turning into ponies seems to be the easiest thing for her." (Identity Bio. Her cutie mark, also like Illusion's, is very different from a typical pony’s. Both in black and far more generic and abstract than a typical pony's. It is my humble theory that, despite his apparent aptitude for “chaos magic,” Illusion is not a proper chaos magician despite his draconequine qualities. If you think about it, creating illusions is not properly creating chaos or indeed changing anything at all. It is, instead, a way to make ponies think you have changed something. It is my belief that Illusion's magic is entirely different from that of any other character in Equestria, and that it focuses on mental manipulation. This isn't proper telepathy, per-say, but more a magical way of fooling the senses. Because he's part pony, Illusion has a cutie mark specifying how his mental magic works: namely, creating big illusions that can fool lots of ponies but which fail against perceptive individuals (like Anthea). Identity has the same sort of mental manipulation powers, but her cutie mark and talent focus instead on appearing to be other ponies. Identity, as she grows, will likely become increasingly capable of taking on the mannerisms and ticks of ponies until she would be capable of fooling even their close relatives.

Getting out into proper headcannon territory, I also think Identity's magic, special talent, or most likely some combination of the two makes her very, very good, at figuring out what ponies are thinking. That is, she can predict how they would respond to stimuli. This explains why she rarely talks: she already knows what ponies would say back to her. It also is why she is so fascinated by her grandmother Rarity's diary: she's reading the diary to try to figure out how Rarity thought. This quality would be very advantageous to a mimic: Identity would really be able to become the pony she was trying to copy, going beyond their appearance to how they thought and behaved.

This would make Identity a very powerful individual, in her own way. She wouldn't be able to knock out an Ursa Major or raise the sun, but she would know how you thought. She'd know where you were moving your pawns before you picked them up. She'd know how you'd let your guard down around that one friend and consider doing something just a little foolish. She'd know where you would hide if you were scared. She'd know where you wouldn't look for the bodies. She'd know just how to explain to you how everything she was doing was really the right thing, and you would believe her, and learn to ignore the screams.

Or maybe not! I;m eager to see what other people think. Thanks for the opportunity to theorize!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5