Discord's Library 804 members · 1,389 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

If the show writers decided to make Fluttercord officially canon, what would you guys think?

Do any of you think that the two would have the large enough potential to be a couple and if it could even work? Outside of their age and species differences?

With me, of course, I hope it doesn’t happen. One reason being because I don’t want to be seeing Fluttercord fans doing a victory dance over it. The other being because it would take away the purpose behind why Celestia assigned Discord to Fluttershy in the first place: to teach him about friendship and the values of having one.

What would you also think if, ironically enough, Fluttershy somehow developed a crush on Discord but he doesn’t return the feeling? In other words, viewing her as only his best friend?

I think/hope they'd do it fanficcy enough to let us have our cake and eat it, too. It's fitting for Discord, after all.

How I'd do it:

-Discord is having a tea party with Fluttershy again, and he's anxious, shaking, absolutely rattled. Fluttershy asks why. After some prodding, Discord reveals his greatest fear: his mother is coming to visit! Cue opening credits.

-Main conflict: Discord's mother wants him to start a family and sow chaos across the multiverse. We get some worldbuilding for draconequuses as well as a sense of a world beyond Equestria. Discord doesn't want to sit through another round of nagging from his mother about what is 'proper' for his species, especially now that he's reformed.

-we get to the good part: Fluttershy offers to help out and pretend she is Discord's companion. So Discord turns her into a draconequus.

-the meeting with the mother happens, the conflict escalates, Fluttershy reveals some kind of unique animal-based chaos power in this new form, all that good stuff the show likes to tease us with. Any number of references can be thrown in, especially Mad Hatter tea party ones.

-at the end, Fluttershy transforms back. Some more talking, a heartfelt thanks, and Discord left wondering if next time it might be a permanent change, if either of them feels like it.

See, this leaves open whether they become a full item or not, but it makes it possible. It also adds new ideas to the worldbuilding, adds more depth to Discord (which you'd need for this sort of thing). It removes the conflict of immortality versus mortality from the equation, it lets us explore another side of Fluttershy (what happens when she gets absolute power) as well as demonstrate what might make her unique as a draconequus, in the sense of how her powers would work. On an emotional level, it'd give us the start of a relationship without finalising it either way. The bond would grow stronger in terms of emotional connection, but the emotions themselves don't have to change (yet). It's a compromise that, I think, would fit the show's look and feel.

Wouldn't even need to make her a draconequus, on second thought. Any type of chaotic spirit would suffice, if it's powerful enough (otherwise mother won't approve, and neither would the fans.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2