Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Midnight Shadows
Group Admin

In this thread I want authors to put tips for each other in this thread. Things that they often see is done incorrectly grammar wise.

I'll start.

As an author I always found it hard when I started out to get the correct use of there, they're, their, to, too, and two. I often find other people making the same mistakes as I did so let me just give a short little tutorial on the proper use of these six words.

First two example sentences:

They're over there with their cat.

I want to see the two zebras too.

The easiest way for me to remember the proper use of these words, (Albeit probably the wrong way to remember) is that, too is usually right if you can substitute it with 'also.' For example the sentence "I want to see the two zebras too." You can substitute too with also, it doesn't flow as well but you can do it and it makes sense. To is usually directly after a verb, such as "I ran to the mall." "He is running to the store." "I am going to the park." Two is the simplest one to remember. Two equates to 2 and should not be used unless you are saying the number.

To move on to they're, their, and there I will start with: "Their," which is used when you are describing something that someone owns, for example "I am using their car." their is a short way to say someone else owns it. You don't want to have to say "I am using Mike, Joe, and Jenny's car" It's faster to type it the first way and it flows a lot better as well as making more sense. They're is in place of "They are." Generally if you can put "they are" in the place then you want to use "They're." This also eliminates the need to use "They are" for the most part, for example "They are riding on a plane." "They're riding on a plane." The second way really just flows better. And finally we get to there. Generally falling under the "Look over there!" The easiest way (in my opinion) to remember that is to associate it with the word "Where" because of the following sentence. "There is used where?" You just say that sentence, remember how the word "Where" is spelled and replace the W with a T. Of course you need to know that you're not using they're or their, but the above should help you narrow it down to the last one being 'there.'

Anyway to conclude my little tutorial that probably is full of things that are incorrect ways to remember how to do things properly... I want to see more of these little tutorials from other authors.

Disclaimer: If someone posts something catastrophically wrong grammar wise, it will be deleted... Please check your facts before posting!

One last tiny little tip before ending the post... After a "..." there should ALWAYS (Unless in quotes or parentheses) be a space! Same with after any sort of punctuation be it a comma or a period, question mark or exclamation point.

Anyways I hope you all find use in the tutorials!

Since we're on the subject of grammar, I toss one out. I'll try to explain it, but I'm not the best teacher.

Less and fewer:

AJ: How many nails do we need for this part of the project, Twilight?
Twilight: Twenty fewer than last time, AJ.

*Sweetie Belle looks at the giant glass of chocolate milk Twilight's given her with lunch*
Twilight: Is that too much? Do you want less than that?

Fewer is used to denote an object which has a measurable number -- nails, for example, items in a store, ice cubes.
Less is used for objects which don't really have an amount or measurable number* (in an abstract sense, suchas a Stampeed, you could hope for a less of a stampeed, or less damage from the stampeed this time around)

* I think Carl says "One less Ivory back-scratcher," in an episode of The Simpsons, when talking about Mr.s Burns and money, so even though you can measure the number of back scratchers a person has, that's grammatically correct.

I've seen so many people use "to" instead of "too". Also, I used to think that "it's" meant "it is", and "its" simply means its. But I've been corrected before when making sentences that read properly in my head, but aren't proper grammar :pinkiecrazy: simply because I used it's instead of its or the other way around. Grammar is crazy sometimes :ajsleepy:

Midnight Shadows
Group Admin

-Sorry to post a useless post here, I've had to edit my original post because it seems my browser was auto-correcting me and royally fucked a lot of the grammar... which kinda made me look like a hypocritical ass. But I've fixed what I've found, if anyone else sees any errors let me know via pm. Thanks.-

Then and Than:

*Rarity approaches Twilight in the library*
Twilight: What is it, Rarity?
Rarity: Twilight, please forgive my lack of tact, but I must be direct if we are going to make that party on time. Since your transformation to Alicorn Princess I can't help but notice you're a tiny bit larger than than you used to be. Comes with the territory, I suppose.
Twilight: So, then... what does that mean?
Rarity: It means we must take new measurements to fit you properly for your dress... I can't just modify my existing designs for Pegasus if we expect it to fit right. Come with me, please!

Then is used to denote time, usually in sequence... then what happened?
Than is used for comparison... larger than, smaller than, tougher than (part of me is tempted to end this example with "GENUINE GIRL!")

Further VS Farther

This one's harder to explain, because they mean the same thing and at the same time they do not. It'll start with the explanation before the example

Farther is a measure of physical distance. Further is a measure of abstract distance, frequently used in reference to time.

If you're writing for a character that's going to try to be grammatically correct you can use this to show off their skills (or your skills) or you can deliberately make a mistake to show they're not as grammar savvy as they think they are.

Examples:

Rarity *resting her hooves*: How much farther do we have to travel, Twilight? My hooves are positively killing me.
Twilight: Just a mile.

*Pinkie Pie is up to her usual antics, in the crowded Crystal Empire's Library however... pony's are beginning to stare due to the noise level. Pinkie has also dragged out her party canon*
Twilight: I wouldn't take it any further if I were you, Pinkie Pie. You're representing Ponyville along with the rest of us, you might inadvertently give the inhabitants a misrepresentation of- *stops when she sees Pinkie pouting* Continue to be yourself, but try to tone it down some, okay?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6