MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Humanity
Group Admin

Recent events in another group have gotten me thinking about the topic of opinions that are generally unpopular or otherwise disliked in general. Or at least that’s what some people prefer to call them. Due to the likelihood of some people getting triggered by information that are established facts on account of hindsight and exceptional research and analysis, these will be referred to as “opinions” from here on out.

From what I’ve seen, there are two types of unpopular opinions. Type 1 is opinions that are unpopular because the mainstream audience denounces and frown upon them. Such examples include the unfortunate implications, poor implementation, and unnecessary developments centered around Princess Twilight Sparkle from six years ago.

The Type 2 of unpopular opinion are those in opposition to something widely accepted by most or a significant percentage of the audience. One example being virtually everything having to do with Starlight Glimmer after the Season 5 finale.

The Type 1 of unpopular opinions is one that can gain traction over time and with the benefit of hindsight. The prior example of Twilight Sparkle becoming a princess has become increasingly popular and accepted due to many viewers having the the blessing of hindsight on top of becoming disillusioned due to the fandom’s shrinking numbers and the decaying quality of the show. And much like a member of this group admitted several months back, it is very possible to be in denial of the facts regarding these topics all for the sake of one’s emotional attachment to the product. It’s perfectly healthy to like something despite established flaws. It is not healthy to continuously insist that aspects about a product are something you want it to be when it is not.

As for Type 2, there’s not that much to say about it. Those that have these types of unpopular opinions are a vocal minority for the most part and are generally blinded by overly emotional attachment to the product. For example, Starlight Glimmer will be just as universally despised now as she will be in ten years, if not more, as even casual audiences can see what a mess of a character she is. Instead of the unpopular opinion becoming vindicated by history like the first one, these opinions will remain unpopular and will become even less popular over time as more and more evidence and analysis continues to debunk any qualities the holders of said opinions felt the product had.

Those who cling too hard to Type 2 opinions run an unfortunate risk of becoming bitter and arrogant in the face of having their unpopular opinions put down by those who understand the flaws of the source material better than they do. If they cling stubbornly to these opinions for too long for the sake of their emotional escapism, they tend to end up becoming chronically angry and bitter, feeling like some sort of oppressed underdog fighting against a corrupt foundation. Frequently trash talking and insulting those who ignore or debunk their opinions and even trying to invalidate them as if their opinions are alternative facts or fake news. The former member Black Kyurem is a prime example of this mindset and it extends into other members as well like Alphamon Ouryuken. (To be clear, this is not an attack on said members. I am merely mentioning them due to them exhibiting said behavior that got me thinking of this concept.)

From what I’ve seen, this type of mindset seems to be held onto so firmly due to some sort of desire for self validation on account of some sort of egotism problem or simply psychological projecting. And by refusing to have said opinions accepted, they feel denied of recognition they think they absolutely deserve rather than just letting go and just enjoying the source material for what it’s worth to them. It’s quite tragic, really.

It’s a shame these types of opinions cause so much drama in the fandom. It’s no small wonder it’s in the condition it’s in and that this group exists.

It is their way to say: "I love your opinion."

"I-It's not like I like you or anything!"

D48
D48 #3 · May 25th, 2018 · · 1 ·

Well said, although for the sake of completeness I do want to chime in with a third type of unpopular opinion. Specifically, unconventional interpretations of evidence. This does not necessarily entail an emotional connection from the people who hold it, although it can draw serious anger from people who do not.

An example of this is the interpretation of canon that the sun and moon in Equestria work just like they do here and the princesses either don't know that what they are doing is a useless ritual (just like many historical religious practices) or do know and don't tell the public for some reason (this is usually a story plot point). Prior to season 4 there was nothing that invalidated this theory (it assumes Luna/NMM used magic to redirect sunlight away from the planet to create eternal night and writes off Discord as the Q expy he is), but I was brutally attacked for pointing out this possibility on several occasions.

Also, on the more general subject of the fandom, I noticed an interesting thing a while back. Some idiot went after me here for a comment I made on a BattleTech crossover about the BT setting's economy making no sense, yet on the official BattleTech forums the nonsensical nature of the economics is basically a running joke. Over there it's so widely accepted that one of the site staff actually has a quote about exactly that from another member of the forums in his signature, but the person I ran into on this site was so deeply ingrained in the "any criticism is a personal attack" mentality that they blew up at me for pointing it out.

Very well put

good point, but almost all of what's said in this group also falls under Type 2.

Humanity
Group Admin

Give it time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8