MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Most of us probably hear this phrase in some form to defend the show whenever it gets criticized. However, this statement usually shows that the person saying this has low standards, or they're just deflecting criticism. A good example would be the show's shoddy world-building. I actually saw someone say that "We can use our imaginations" and "what's the point of getting mad?". While I can't speak for everyone, I'm not mad at this show, I just expect better because I know it can do better than this. That's probably why a lot of people criticize the show because they know it can do better. Some even go as far as to say "you expect good writing from MLP?". Yes, that's why I and many others are on this site. If you don't, unnamed person, then why are you on here? I don't know, I guess they have really low standards. What do you all think?

Humanity
Group Admin

It’s a tired old strawman excuse to talk down to critiques of genuine flaws in media for general audiences. It didn’t hold up then and it doesn’t hold up now.

D48
D48 #3 · Nov 15th, 2022 · · 1 ·

Yep, it's a tired, garbage excuse for a poor product. This fandom exists precisely because Faust rejected that nonsense. The first adult fans were a mix of people expecting to have fun tearing into the usual "it's for kids" garbage and parents dragged into it by their kids. In both cases, Faust's dedication and refusal to give in to mediocrity won them over in spite of their preconceptions, and the fandom was born.

I do remember though some sources I can't remember that Faust specifically stated that MLP was not just for kids. Granted, I get what you're saying; that "it's for kids" excuse is so horribly outdated.

True. One has to ask if they think this stuff is "just for kids". why are you watching/defending it? They've lowered their standards for whatever reason.

Yes, that's the ironic part. The reason people liked this show was that it went that "it's for kids" narrative. That they use that excuse to defend it shows two things: they know it's bad and don't care, and they have low standards. I know I've said that more than once, but that's the only way I think I can express their reactions.

7766231 Come the post season 3 FiM and G5 to backpedal into purely kiddy garbage all over again.

Roxor #8 · Nov 16th, 2022 · · 1 ·

If anything, the fact that it's for kids makes making crap even LESS excusable. They don't know what crap looks like yet. You're just being predatory by serving it up, knowing they won't be able to tell.

Kids' media should have the strictest quality-control standards so they DON'T grow up with crap. Leave the crap for the adults who can decide for themselves not to waste their time on garbage.

Exactly. The "It's for kids" mentality just goes to show that the ones saying it don't care about kids, they just don't want people to criticize their Sacred Cow.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9