Original Character Tournaments 61 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Peregrine Caged
Group Admin

Here's just a quick list of things that will be added/utilized in this group, over time. More or less, for the First competition things are well enough along that we'll continue with most of it through GDocs (though for general announcements, I'll be moving to here).

But threads and stuff I plan on having added in time (You are welcome to suggest others):

+ A few threads focusing on the creation of action scenes. At least one a general discussion thread; at least one a general help thread
+ A few threads focusing on the creation of proper characters. What not to do (avoiding the dreaded Mary-Sue, also what the heck is one?), what to do, what makes a character interesting. At least one general discussion thread. At least one general help thread for specific requests.
+ Discussion threads on the various races of Equestria and how they operate. I've done some of the legwork here, but I'm open to letting others discuss their own opinions.
+ Individual character threads for current tournaments. This will allow the judges to simply post their replies on the threads themselves, as well as let players discuss character creation with one another.
+ Recruiting threads for future tournaments
+ A thread for artists interested in giving competitors a look to their entries
+ Plot Discussion Threads for future tournaments where necessary.
+ Related to the above: suggestions for other tournaments, centered around specific challenges or themes or what have you.
+ The ability to let others run tournaments of their own (far future, likely)

If I may make one suggestion, comment section combat is not all that efficient, especially with more than two or three players, so I might suggest using something like Google Docs or a chat site to help with the flow so no one is left behind (which happened quite a few times to me in the Comment Warriors group... -_-;; ). It's perfectly fine if you don't want to take my suggestions, but from someone who's been in a similar group before, it might be a good idea.

Peregrine Caged
Group Admin

Appreciate the sentiment, but not even close to how this is going to be done anyways. Please don't assume on how I'm going to run things--I know what I'm doing.

2512506 You know, you don't have to be snippy. I was commenting based on what I had read above. Pardon me for trying to be nice and offer some advice from someone who also happens to have experience in this sort of thing. You can decline my advice, but at least do so nicely, not condescendingly.

Besides, assuming something is the farthest thing from my mind.

Peregrine Caged
Group Admin

It gets really tiring when multiple people try to tell me how to run my own projects, which I have successfully been doing for a long time now, and unfortunately there's no way to reply to that in a way that doesn't come off as snippy, except for lying (and simply saying thanks for the suggestion, I'll take it into account; not quite a lie, I suppose, simply unnecessary and therefore kind of a nonsense reply) or telling you the truth: that I appreciated the sentiment, but the advice is misinformed. There is nothing about the current tournament, at all, here. There is nothing that says I had ever planned on doing the bouts through threads. These are services and information I want to utilize the group to provide in the future. No more, no less.

If you really want to be nice, ask questions first before you offer opinions. I do apologize that you took offense, but there was no way to avoid the snappish sound of the reply; I could only hope you wouldn't take it personal, small hope though that was. But four different people have done this to me today--I really do get that you're trying to be nice, I do and I appreciate it, but understand that you come off condescending first when you assume (and yes, you did, by implication) that I haven't thought this through.

2514604 Alright, I can see that, I guess. :unsuresweetie:

... Alright, the hell did I read? 6~9 I just reread the original post, and the part I thought I'd read that said we'd have forum threads for tourney fights isn't even there anymore. I must be cross-eyed AND blind in one eye. :facehoof:

Peregrine Caged
Group Admin

It's all good. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding. I welcome you and hope we can work together in the future. Experience, in whatever form, is always a plus.

The way this tourney is being run is less collab and more competition. The fighters won't be working together, as when I run projects, I like to have something of a challenge about them. Technically the point behind this is to allow people to practice action scenes (learning about OCs and proper character development as well as interpretation is a delightful secondary challenge that naturally comes along; also very useful). Future tourneys will vary, of course. Got several ideas waiting in the wings.

Anyways, each person will be responsible for writing the entire bout on their own, in their own doc. The two author's different versions will then be put up to a vote, with the one winning considered canon and moving up the bracket to the next round.

2515527 Okay, that sounds a bit better. Yeah, how the ComWars went was you replied to all players in the thread, declaring your attacks and building off of the others. My problem was that I'd write a paragraph or three to describe my actions fully while everyone else basically wrote single sentences, and sometimes even less. It was easy, then, for someone like me to get left behind when fifty comments could be posted by the time I wrote one and edited it to accommodate the first ten.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8