Feminist/Feminism 13 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

So! I know, I know; 'but, Shift', you're saying 'we've used the term brony ever since the peripheral fandom started booming!' And you would be right, my astute fellow MLP fans, that we have.

And, y'see, therein lies the problem.

Teen and young adult men - that peripheral demographic I mentioned - are not the main demographic for this show, and so that means the term 'brony' is, indeed, hurtfully misogynistic. 'But, Shift' you say again, looking concerned 'the main cast is all female! So is most of the secondary and tertiary (third row) cast! What kind of fans of this awesome show would we be if we were misogynistic!? Certainly we wouldn't do something that awful on purpose!' And I agree with you once again, fellow fans! it isn't on purpose, probably, most of you. Of course there's always that small fraction of ill-intent-meaning people in every group, but I think we can safely discount them from this discussion.

I simply mean that, by taking over the fan name and most of the media's-eye-view of a show aimed for young girls specifically, male fans have unintentionally taken over and through the term brony made it rather clear who that term is for: male fans of the show. That hurts young women! 'But how?' you may be asking. 'How can a silly fandom name hurt someone?' Well, you see, the target demographic for My Little Pony is - and always has been - young girls. It is meant clearly for them; one of the very, very few shows that brazenly, openly panders to girls and doesn't talk down to them, doesn't dumb things down or soften up the truths and morals taught because the show is meant for girls.

All of those things we absolutely love about the show? The diverse characters, the wonderful voice acting, animation, the wise words and funny jokes - they're all meant for girls! It's absolutely ground-breaking - especially when one considers that some of the former Generations of MLP were nothing more than lengthy toy ads. We've come a long way, and I really don't want to see all of that fantastic 'we can make intelligent, reasonably complex characters and ideas for girls too!' shine that MLP has kicked up go down the drain.

So, please please please, stop using brony? :twilightsmile:

Hm. I'm not sure if I agree with you, but you do have a pretty good point.

A lot of fans act like the show was made for them. No, it was not; it was made for little girls. By saying that, you're also saying that anything for girls has to be uncool. The show is awesome, and it's for little girls and just-so-happened to attract an audience of adults. It isn't any less of a girls show because of this. A lot of people can't accept that...

But the term itself isn't really hurting anyone; the way people are interpreting it is. If everything was the way I wanted it to be, then MLP would just be a show and nobody has to loose their shit over having penis and liking cuddly pink ponies because it makes them oh-so special.

3540223 I literally only joined to tell you how much of a stupid bitch you are, goodbye.

Even stupider: the idiot who necros a post over 2 and a half years old, simply to insult someone who has not logged in for about that long either.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4