Brony Discussion Center 116 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

The term "bad OC" is very flexible within this fandom. I personally would have liked to see a list of requirements that make a bad OC, instead of vaguely defined characteristics. However, such is entirely wishful thinking.

Let's propose an alternate reality. Not to the show's canon, but instead to our own universe. Say that in this other Earth, the pony Rainbo Dash was not created in any generation. Instead, she was replaced by, let's say Carrot Top. That makes sense.

So, it's 2015 in this other timeline, and a young fellow creates an OC that he is quite proud of, and names her Rainbow Dash. My question for this thread is whether or not this Original Character would be accepted by Fimfiction.net. Let's see if she would.

1. Rainbow mane.
2. "I'm awesome!"
3. "Fastest pegasus in Equestria!"
4. "I can warp reality after breaking the sound barrier!"
5. "I'm arrogant and rarely display my gimmick! (Loyalty)."

What do you think? :duck:

JaketheGinger
Group Admin

Honestly it depends on how she's introduced.

When we first saw her, Rainbow Dash was just a pegasus who could fly fast, with a cocky and sometimes lazy streak. Then as we got to know her better more elements were introduced, like the Sonic Rainboom. Since we were used to her, and knew she could fly fast regardless, and because the Rainboom episode added to her character significantly, we were cool with it.

4173460 Interesting. I must admit, if RD were presented as in the show, no problem would most likely arise. However, we all know that the average teen does not carry the prowess of a professional episode-writer. If RD's character were presented with the tact of the average 13-15 year old, how do you think things would play out?

I'm not sure, in the show we know she's the fastest, as an OC all we would have is her claim to being the fastest.

She's not an alicorn, so that is a big plus. She wouldn't be the Element of Loyalty anymore, so that takes away from her being powerful.

If presented right I think she could be a plausible OC, just most would think she was cocky

I don't think any of the Mane 6 would come out looking too good if they were written by a tactless unskilled teenager. Rarity would be a completely shallow girly-girl, Pinkie would just be random craziness with no depth, Twilight would be a complete nerd stereotype, etc.

4173976 That what I thought, too. Hooray for Dash!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6