A Helping Hoof 73 members · 455 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28
Bateman66
Group Admin

First off, because I really want to say this, WELCOME, TO THE LEGION OF DOOM!
Second off, how is everything going with you guys? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Anything not working out? If so, PLEASE point it out in the thread. We haven't been up for very longer, so any user feedback is heavily appreciated. In other news, how's the month treating you guys so far? I've got a pretty manageable level of school work (knock on wood) but my weekends are a bit mucked up with extra-curricular stuff, mainly Scouts and college stuff. What about all y'all? What's on the down low? :pinkiesmile:

I have been doing the same so far. No changes.....yet. I did get 1 more like on my story so I guess that's progress. The only thing that bothers me is that I have 35 chapters and over 83k words and still have only 97 views so........O_o I don't know what to make of this. I have a friend that asked if he could post it on 4chan's /b, for publicity, but I quickly denied it. He asked about tumblr and I'm not sure about that.
I'm doing decent basically.

Bateman66
Group Admin

2333645 I know where you're coming from. I have about 20,000 words and only about 69 views on a story I'm sill working on. It can be frustrating but I think I know a way that could help you. Post all your chapters at least a day apart from one another, even if the are already finished and ready for posting. This increases your chances of being view by a random stranger. Also, try to quickly sum up what happened in the chapters before when starting a new chapter (if references are made to the past). This is a pretty difficult task (trust me, I've tried) but it really is able to catch a reader up to speed when they're new to everything. Don't do it in excess however, sometimes the story can speak for itself and no recap is necessary. Just depends on the scenario I suppose.

Bateman66
Group Admin

2333645 If I were you, stick with publicity through groups here on the site. Getting views randomly on the front page is an unreliable tactic with certain times either crowded with updates and new stories or no pony is even on.

Gotcha. I keep your advice in mind, thanks.

Bateman66
Group Admin

2333777 Happy to give a help-ing hoof!

I see what you did there

Would you like the privilege of editing my story and proofreading unpublished chapters?

Bateman66
Group Admin

2333922 I don't think I'd be able to handle all that. :fluttercry: To be quite honest, I already feel overworked just with my story, homework, managing this group and outside of school stuff. I really wouldn't be able to regularly commit to the entire task and I wouldn't want to promise to do something but never fall through. I'm sorry I can't help you as much as I should but I really don't think I'd be able to finish the job. :fluttercry:

Bateman66
Group Admin

2333922 Do you have any particular problem with editing in that regard?

Oh okay you don't have to if you don't want to. I don't have any specific problem just grammar and punctuation.

Bateman66
Group Admin

2336812 Well then shouldn't be too hard to fix, just scan your chapter once you're done writing. Try to do it more than once, but you'll pretty much cover any flagrant errors.

Well this group has been somewhat helpful :yay: but I haven't gotten too many views on my stories yet, I've gotten about five or six new views on my stories, but I haven't really been doing too much posting of new chapters. But on the other hoof, I'm trying to view as many as stories as possible, but between school, the snow where I'm at :ajbemused: , Boy Scouts, and trying to write my own stuff, I've been pretty busy. I'm going to view some other stuff on here now, and thanks to everypony who have been looking at my stuff :pinkiehappy:
-bathroomstahl

Bateman66
Group Admin

2349631 Thanks for helping out around the group! On a side note, you're in Scouts too? What's your rank?

2350965 Eeuyup I'm in scouts too :pinkiehappy: currently I'm Star but I'm really close to Life :yay:
-bathroomstahl

Bateman66
Group Admin

2351082 Lucky, I recently got Star and I'm hoping to eventually get to Life. You shooting for Eagle?

2351096 Of course I am, still have three more years :rainbowdetermined2:

I'm in the scouts too! But for the first, we don't Got ranking in the scouts in Sweden, and for the second: boys and girls have scouts toghter, we only get placed in different after age!:pinkiehappy:pinkiesmile:

2352337 We actually have something like that here in America, but it's called Venture Crew. Venture Crew involves both boys and girls, but you have to be fourteen to join it, but otherwise it’s great :pinkiesmile:

Once upon a time, we were devided in to girl scouts and boy scouts, and most of our neighbor countries still have it that way. We have scouts from six years old ( they are then called the bevers) and untill you have finished elementary school, and even during high school, when you also can be a help leder in younger groups too, and after that, you can become a leder! We have diffrent kind of scouts in sweden, first we have regular scouts, and then we have sea scouts, that spend much time out on the water, which regular scouts don't, but to join them, you have to be eight years old. I'm in the regular scouts, I'm hafe way though 8th grade and spending my last year in the age group called the adventures, before I go up to the challengers!:pinkiehappy:

Bateman66
Group Admin

2352904 Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive program! I've always known that most countries have a Scout program, but I never imagined them being so diverse in terms of activities. Are a lot of kids Scouts in Sweden?

Yes, in fact, many kids are. I joined the scouts in 4th grade as a Discoverer after that my friend brought me with her on a try out meeting. In the area were I live, we each yer have a scout competition called St Georges game, where you compete against other scouts, both sea scouts and normall scouts in age categories. What you can win is a price that the last yers winners leave to the winners. (If you didn't know, St George, also called St Göran, is at least in sweden the scouts saint, and we have a story in sweden about a knight named George or Göran that killed a dragon and save a princess and became a saint, St George or Göran. ) The scouts in sweden also own their own island, where we sometimes ahve summer campes!

Bateman66
Group Admin

2359321 We too in America have specific scout camps, granted, their normally on regular landmasses instead of islands! But wow...that's some interesting insight into another country. I've never left the States before (never really found a reason or want to), but just hearing a first hand account makes things seem so much more interesting and new. Thanks for telling me! :pinkiehappy:

Bateman66
Group Admin

2359321 Also, stories of knights and dragons sound so cool!

2363649>>2363659
Your welcom, it have been a plesure to tell you about how the scouts in sweden works!:twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28