Writers With Learning Disorders 223 members · 1,536 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

It's been agonizingly difficult to get my body in a comfortable enough position to write effectively. I do work a lot (but don't work OUT as much as I need to, I know) so I can see why this may be a present problem, but you know, it feels a little unfair; that I have ALL this motivation going for this one story I have planned, but if I can't ever get anything out, I'm afraid all of it will go away. I've written hardly anything in a month.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated, as always

4760446 ok now some questions...

are you not feeling comfortable mentally or physically? if it is physically then try writing somewhere different if you have a laptop. If it is mentally then another question.
tell me which sounds right....you have motivation too write but your mind is placing road blocks in your way, like doubt, fear, neurotic feelings, etc...or...you want to write but feel mentally and physically tired can don't have then internal energy to do any writing.

depending on which one you thinks fits this situation i my have some advise that may be good.

4760585 That's all true. It's gotten harder for me to be comfortable in both of those senses

It's been agonizingly difficult to get my body in a comfortable enough position to write effectively.

I think you'll need to elaborate a bit here. You mean, like, they way you sit?

I have ALL this motivation going for this one story I have planned, but if I can't ever get anything out, I'm afraid all of it will go away. I've written hardly anything in a month.

Stories are not a spur-of-the-moment type of commitment. Or, at least, they shouldn't be - if you can only write on impulse, that implies your vision was fleeting to begin with, and that you lack long-term focus. Contrary to what many writers seem to think, it's usually better to take it easy and not rush into a project. Also, in my personal experience, storytelling ability does not noticeably atrophy with disuse, and a longer break may even be healthy. So I wouldn't worry. Use this time for planning and exploring your ideas. Worst case scenario, you'll think of something even better to write.

4760601 I see how it can be good to get like, 100-500 words a week, maybe even less. As long as i get SOMETHING down comfortably, I'll be satisfied.

4760596 ok well i would listen to Fervidor's advise that he gives as he is great with advise.

but i think i know how you felt...maybe...i had not written in 2 mouths (mostly playing an mmo and working) but then i tried writing differently then i use to...

4760615 Tried writing differently? How so?

And thank you kindly for the follow~

4760627 well i use to write thinking on pleasing other people...now i don't. also i stop posting stories that are not done...now i post stories once i finish them(chp fics). and i feel pretty good as i now don't need to feel preserved to shoot stuff out every week. Now i just post when i feel like it.

4760629 I've been thinking about doing that, especially with the new story I'm trying to work on. I want it to be special, and I don't want people to have to wait

Honestly, you would probably be better off not counting words at all, unless you are extremely disciplined - it can lead to frustration when some writing sessions are more productive than others. A better goal is to decide how much time you should spend writing, and write whatever you can manage in that time.

But seriously, what's this about not getting your body comfortable?

well i use to write thinking on pleasing other people...now i don't.

Of course it's good to write what you yourself want to write. Then again, there is nothing wrong with aiming to please your readership. I think it's dangerous to start viewing those two things as mutually exclusive: They are actually two sides of the same coin.

In my case, I write because entertaining others makes me genuinely happy, and I thrive on compliments - I am both a philanthropist and a huge showoff. I'd never write a story I didn't love, but figuring out how to appeal to others is a part of the art form.

4762614 It's just that I really can't find a good position to be in without something bothering me due to it

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11