Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I know it's not directly related to MLP, but the setting is open for crossovers.

I am trying to set up a solar system for a game/story.
I want to maximize the natural living area with a diverse range of environments (anywhere a human with an appropriate wardrobe but no specialized gear can visit for an hour and come back from unharmed).
I am open to "tricks" for to bump up the tally, such as eyeball planets, gas giants that heat moons tidally, binary worlds, super Earths, and maybe even an extra star or two.
As long as the whole system is gravitationally sound and I don't use the same trick too many times, I'll be happy.

7229294 Why not have a debris field so large in the Goldy Locks zone that it has its own atmosphere. Some meteorites would be fertile, some just iron, and so on.

I just might do something like that, though I won't be using it for the main assembly. Right now, I'm leaning towards like a pair of binary stars with a small star or two farther out.

I'd end up treating it like a large planet in terms of navigation. Launches could theoretically go through the "planet core" to make it easier on rockets or what have you.

If you are looking for a scientifically accurate solution, perhaps some of these?

jxj

I know it's not quite what you asked for, but you get way more bang for your buck with artificial. O'neill cylinders meet your criteria really well except for the natural.

Thanks, I'll give it a read.

This setting is supposed to house people from a wide variety of technology levels: think refugees from across multiple parallel multiverses. I suppose one high tech setting may be starting work on such a structure, but I don't want to overuse exotic gimmicks.

jxj

I'd look into it at least. Here's a good video on o'neill cylinders. O'neill cylinders are actually pretty small (relatively speaking). They're maybe 250 square miles of living area or so. They're big, but it's not like dyson sphere big.

Honestly having a bunch of habitable territory in one solar system seems more gimmicky to me than a good network of space habitats. Look at our solar system, we have 1 habitable body. How many times that are you planning on going? 5 times? 8 times? More?

The variety of technology levels seems to be at odds with being able to visit. You'd need some advanced players to be able to do stuff like that. Like way more than we have now.

There are some real strengths to using o'neill cylinders. You have 100% control over gravity, day/night cycle, climate and so on which you don't get with natural bodies. Transport is easier than with planets. The big thing is that nothing can beat them for living area. If you cannibalized a body and turned it into o'neill cylinders, you can get millions of times more livable surface area than the original body.

At the end of the day, it's your story and you do you. I just really like them and I think they're a better option a bunch of the time than colonizing planets.

The story is supposed to take place right after discovering this system. I'll run some maths when the time comes and find out how many an advanced people will make for later on in the timeline.

I found this. I'll be giving it a read, but I still don't want to spam the same cheap tricks all the time.
https://planetplanet.net/2014/05/13/building-the-ultimate-solar-system/

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9