Science! in Equestria 508 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

So someone recently started a group about magic. I don't mean the sort of magic that is equivalent to friendship via the transitive property, I don't mean the flashy magic of unicorns and alicorns, or the more internalized magic of pegasi and earth ponies. I don't even mean the sort of skill that will, if you're very good, get you a gig in Vegas... or at least an appearance in Poof magazine.

"I've gotta get into that Poof!" -- George Oscar "GOB" Bluth Jr., Arrested Development

No, I mean the sort of thing that was universally believed in back when we knew much less about the way the universe works. And it's not a roleplay group, either; it's "for serious discussion, teaching and learning for all that are interested in this ancient art." It's like we're still in the Dark Ages. Let's do the Time Warp again. And no, I'm not encouraging anyone to hassle members of this group, or troll the group itself, or anything like that (which is why there's no link) -- I'm just baffled that there are people who are still this accepting of nonsense in this age, and I needed to vent a little.

It's not magic sending your words all across the globe, kids... it's science.

3659957 You'd be amazed at what sorts of things people believe in. There are even some, that believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

3659988 Can we not put religion into this? Some of us are very educated in science yet still follow religion.

3660091 But it's it okay to bash on magic users? Sounds like double standard to me.

3660107 I did not say that. I actually believe that it is better to leave others alone. Let them believe what they believe, as long as they do not harrass others.

3660142 You implied it by scolding only me and leaving OP alone. I will hold on to my belief that you have double standards until you prove me wrong by scolding OP also. Only then will I apologize for my behavior.

Magic is actually integral to several religions. Some formally call it magic. I have sat face to face with some people from different religions that fall under the "pagan" umbrella that discussed their magic use, rituals, and so on. Mostly it was in the context of seeking consideration from the military to allow them to practice their faith.

Other religions, like Christianity, dislike the term magic being applied to their magic, but they still rely on invoking some other force through incantations and ritual to achieve supernatural healing, blessing, or so on.

Yes, people do still believe in this crap.

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

3659957 3659988 3660091 3660170
Locking this thread.

First things first: This group isn't meant to call out other people and / or groups. If you disagree with what people want to believe, don't drag it in here. Some people believe in magic, other believe in alien overlords, other that dead plants can talk to us, if you're drunk enough or something.

The next one is discussing religion. I won't have any of that. Whether the thread is praising it or condemning it, I don't care. The participants in that kind of discussion will be warned first and banned the second time around.

That's about it.

~Twi

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8