Science! in Equestria 508 members · 543 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Is it possible or realistic to integrate science with a world where magic is the dominate force? I asked myself this when I was brainstorming for a science fiction story. I wanted to write a story inspired by the Magic School Bus series, but was worried about how well it would fit in the world of My Little Pony. For example, we all know that the Royal Sisters control the Sun and the Moon, but would it be realistic to explain to the characters about the formation of them, including the stars. Also, it is never established as to what created their universe, so would the Big Bang theory be compatible with the MLP Universe?

Those are just some of the examples I wanted to throw out there. I don't know if it's silly to worry about something like that, but I just wanted some opinions and answers.

3203738 Don't make the mistake of thinking that "science" is the same thing as technology. Science is the process by which we discover the rules of the natural world. Just because the rules here are different doesn't mean that science can't discover them. :twilightsmile:

I see two fair alternatives:
1) the ponies could be exploring other universes or star systems, ones with more conventional origins that you might feel more comfortable with.
2) you could make up your own origin for Equestria's sun and moon. For all we know, they came in the mail. :twilightsmile: Your explanations might be more inventive than that, of course. :scootangel:

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

My sun and moon came via Derpy Delivery™

~Twi

3203738 Even if you don't end up with a full scientific explanation you still should explain the magical processes a bit if you deal with them in your story. You still have to explain it even if it's just magic.

From what I can surmise from watching MLP:FiM, there are two different types of magic.
The first type is Biological magic, which is what Unicorns generally use. However, what I can tell from the season finale, ALL ponies are subjegated to magic, including Pegusai and Earth Ponies. The magic they make is more than likely due to their increased brain size and function. (Adult ponies are only 4 feet, if that.)
However, besides biological magic in Equestria, there is also technological magic, which allows devices (Such as The Crystal Heart or The Elements of Harmony) to perform some feat which we would normally call 'magic'.

Also, I do have a theory on your number 2.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7