Human Magic 1,867 members · 760 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Here's something to think about. What's your opinion on magic that is stored in objects/weapons? Also, what kind of magic-imbued things can you think of or name from fiction? If possible, try to avoid things that can grant immortality and omnipotence. I feel like those are a cop out to these kind of questions.

My opinion is that they are interesting, but share a common weakness. If the user relies on object to use magic, if they lose the object, they're screwed. To name an example, I think of the Dark Brings from Rave Master. These small, dark purple, stones grant there users a sorts of magical powers, but slowly corrupt the user if they overuse their power.

It depends on the object itself. Like if it's a weapon or something else. Not to mention the properties of it. Think of all the weapons and armor Erza has with her Re-quip magic for example

5728195 True, but Erza is an interesting case. She uses her weapons and armor, which are enchanted, but she herself uses magic to summon her equipment. In the OP, I was thinking along the lines of 'the user can't use magic naturally and has to depend on magic objects'. Admittedly, magic-imbued objects are really only limited by someone's imagination. For example, a shield that absorbs all magic attacks used against it or an armor that creates a magnetic field in a set area around it.

5730031 Do books count? If so, I would think of Tome's like what Robin would use in Fire Emblem: Awakening

5730155 I don't see why not. Of all the magic-imbued items that I can think of, a tome/book always confused me. If you have to open it up and read it in the middle of a fight, you're leaving yourself wide open, unless you're really far away. If you don't have to open and read it, then why carry it and not something more portable, like a staff that doubles as a walking stick.

5730532 Magic isn't always combat oriented, so reading from a magic tome or spell book is not completely impractical. Also, maybe you do not have to open and read it, but what if the setting's magic requires words to be written and symbols to be drawn for it to work? In that case something like a spellbook would come in handy to keep on your person, even if actually casting the spell does not require opening and reading it.

5731766 That actually makes a lot of sense. I guess I just never thought of that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7